Good practice bass amp for funk/r &b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good practice bass amp for funk/r &b

I need a bass amp that's pretty loud for practice, but is a combo amp and something prefereably under 500 bucks. I need it to have some bottom, and I know I'm only talking under 500 bucks so I don't expect the world, just something that can hold it down, for funk, r & b styles.

Re: Good practice bass amp for funk/r &b

practise at home or practise with a band?

i tried the roland bass cube and it was fine for bedroom level stuff
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

with a band

Comment

Try looking at used Peavey's and get something with at least 300watts.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You'll need a bass amp with at least a 15" speaker and probably somewhere in the region of 120W. The amp will probably be solid state and thats fine for bass as you are looking for clean and plenty of headroom. Make sure that you have enough eq on there, look also for any deep low switch and make sure that you have plenty of outputs for hooking up additional speakers, headphone amps and also DI out from there. Also make sure that you have active and passive inputs for whichever bass you require.

As for amps/combos as you live in the US there are a number of manufacturers - SWR, Ampeg, Mesa Boogie etc - check out e-bay to see what there is. It is highly unlikely that anyone will have blown a bass amp because they are built to operate at higher levels and produce lower frequencies. I use Laneys, Ashdown, Carlsboro's and even Polytones when I do any gigs but not all of these are available in the US. My personal preference is using my Laney combo which has something like 650W and has a 2x10 speaker with a tweeter I usually augement this with a 15" cabinet for low end.
          Normans Guitars

Comment

I like peavey's cuz of their low end handle, but how do the swr's and the ampeg's sound, and the fender's? Are these combos any good?

Comment

Check out Gallien Kreuger combo amps, they're fairly inexpensive, and quite nice.
              Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

Check out Yorkville Amps. They really sound good, they're built like tanks, and you should be able to afford one pretty easily.

Comment

For that price range, I'd stick to a Peavey or a Gallien Krueger setup. Mesa doesn't make cheap, and cheap Ampeg and SWR aren't worth it. Peavey stuff is loud, low, and near indestructible.

Comment

Working...
                  X