banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guitarist Magazine: Klon vs hotcake vs fulltone vs cornish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitarist Magazine: Klon vs hotcake vs fulltone vs cornish...

I picked up the UK guitarist magazine with Joe Perry on the cover, and it has a pedal shootout between the Klon Centaur, Cornish Fuzz, Blackstone od, Fulltone fat boost, and NZ's own Crowther Hotcake. The best thing about it is they recorded a bunch of sound clips of each using various settings for the accompanying CD.

Listening to the clips was very interesting. to my ears, the Klon did the best job of creating a tight clean/overdrive boost, though all pedals sounded great and cool in their own right. Guitarist rated the Cornish as the best sounding unit, but I'd say the Klon and hotcake were my faves. Hotcake got overall winner for value (by far the cheapest even when imported to the UK), tone and flexibility ( the most gain, and a cool fuzz tone, as well as a great low gain/transparent boost tone).

Grab the mag if you can find it.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Guitarist Magazine: Klon vs hotcake vs fulltone vs cornish...

I'd love to try a Klon some day, since it's probably the pedal with the most mystique, and a number of good players use 'em - Coco Montoya for one. I've always heard nothing but good comments about the Hot Cake, too. It seems a bit odd to put the Fat Boost up against OD units, but oh well.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
      I'd love to try a Klon some day, since it's probably the pedal with the most mystique, and a number of good players use 'em - Coco Montoya for one. I've always heard nothing but good comments about the Hot Cake, too. It seems a bit odd to put the Fat Boost up against OD units, but oh well.
      The mag tested each unit's abilities as a booster as well as thier oher capabilities, which was quite cool. I guess it's what they could round up from local UK stockists.

The hotcake is a great pedal. Between the hotcake and the three G2D pedals, four of the best overdrives out there are made in my home city.

Comment

yeah, I was looking at some of the reviews linked on Klon's site. Ken Fischer spoke highly of the Hot Cake, and said he owned 3! I think Neil Finn, for one, uses a Hot Cake, doesn't he? at least that would make sense.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Neil Finn, Noel Gallagher (oasis), Chris Haskett (David Bowie, Rollins), The guy out of Vertical Horizon, Henry Kaiser, Pavement, The Melvins, Sonic Youth, Steve Albini, Inxs, Simple Minds etc...

...and one Stevie Ray Vaughan. -given to him by local musician Midge Marsden.

Comment

I can't wait till I get pics of my new pedalboard up. I just spent my Saturday designing, building, wiring, and bracing it down with velcro and zip ties. It's awesome!

I've tried most of those overdrives, and always check out the new ones, and it's true about the Klon. It's the best overdrive I've ever tried. I'm using it next to the new
            T. Rex Mudhoney. The Mudhoney is an OD/Fuzz that's like a river of mud coming down a steep hill. That's the sound. The Klon is the equivalent of turning up the gain and volume on your amp......actually makes the amp sound better. No matter what you plug the Klon into, it just makes it sound richer, louder, and bouncier under your fingers.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
            X