Graphite nuts... wear rates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphite nuts... wear rates?

I've been flirting with the idea of getting a graphite nut on my MIM strat to prevent the string hangups (which are pretty common now with the bone nut, even with graphite in the slots). But I've heard graphite nuts wear quickly and unevenly. Is this true or is it an old wives tale? Also how's the tone compared to a bone nut?

Note: This being a non-locking trem I'm not gonna give it the Satch-type abuse I give my Floyd-equipped strat. Just a light vibrato to chords and notes is all.

Re: Graphite nuts... wear rates?

I've got a graphite nut on my Reverend Slingshot, and I haven't noticed any difference between that and a bone nut, really. It's too soon to comment on the wear rate, though.

Comment

i installed a graphite nut on a friends guitar and it changed the sound (smoothed it out ) but as far as wear he hasn't really had too much wear but his guitar is a hardtail. I like the sound change and I am having one put on my tele that blueline is making
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

My experience: Slightly mellower tone than bone, significantly more rounded than brass, but brighter than most phenolic resins or micarta. This can be dependent on the specific graphite compound, though, I´m, speaking of graph-Tech Trem.nuts specifically.

Wears faster: Old wives tale = hogwash = poppy**** =
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I agree to Zerb - shouldn't wear faster
          I know that when i have to sand the edges flush to the FB it takes a darn long time

futher, itsn't graphite an ingredient in kevlar - what htey make bullet proof vests out of
          Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
          Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
          www.gaugeguitars.com
          Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline
            ...know that when i have to sand the edges flush to the FB it takes a darn long time

futher, itsn't graphite an ingredient in kevlar - what htey make bullet proof vests out of
            Now that I think about it, a´d actually say I have to file longer with graphite than with bone, so in theopry it could even last longer....

As far as Kevlar, I think that carbon-fiber ("Fiber-Graphite") is the closet it gets to Kevlar, but AFAIK it´s a different material. But when I delved into that stuff was like 10 years ago, so I may be wrong....
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I have a graphite nut on a 57 Vintage RI Strat. I bought the guitar in '87, I replaced the nut in 90 or 91. I have not done a thing to it, so if anything I would believe that graphite wears slower than bone. Less friction slower wear rate.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Looks like the Local guita shop is gonna be gettin $35 out of me soon. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                X