Adding a cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a cabinet

Does adding a cabinet via the speaker out of an amp cut output power?

With my home stereo receiver, if I add two addtional speakers it cuts the output (wattage) in half. This is an old single channel receiver.

Are guitar amps the same?
    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Re: Adding a cabinet

Most guitar amps have two speaker outputs, and the wattage is the same to both of em. The wattage varies depending on the load of the cabs ... not that it matters much, because you probably will never use even a quarter of your amp's power, it it has anything near 100W.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
      Most guitar amps have two speaker outputs, and the wattage is the same to both of em. The wattage varies depending on the load of the cabs ... not that it matters much, because you probably will never use even a quarter of your amp's power, it it has anything near 100W.
      It's funny that you should mention 100watts. This weekend I bought a Gerhart Gilmore 1/2 watt tube amp. I went into the shop to test out the Zvex Nano head 1/2 watt and walked out with the Gerhart 1x12 combo. It makes a great Marshall style cranked tone, but at 1/2 a watt, it's still pretty loud for an apartment with my GMP Pawnshop deluxe. However I am able to crank it with my Yamaha SGV-800 which is kind of Morisite stlye re-issue guitar with some kind of Alnico Soap-box pickups. I could also crank it with my Parker Nitefly on the neck single coil pickup (Dimarzio). I'm just starting to play around with this thing. Maybe I'll add a pedal. The guys at the shop recommended a Hotcake overdrive pedal. I'm also considering the boss SD-1.

Here's a link to the Amp: http://www.gerhartamps.com/Gilmore/gilmore.htm

Overall I wasn't that stoked with the Zvex nano head. It sounded harsh through some marshall cabinet I was going though. But the Gerhart sound good right away. However cranked with a Les Paul Style guitar it's a tad loud for my apartment. That's why I was thinking adding a cabinet might lower it's volume. I'll get it all figured out. Probably need an over drive pedal.
      Last edited by Mkf411; 07-26-2004, 11:54 AM.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Looks cool!

That's a lot of green for .5W, tho ...

Comment

if you added a cabinet why do you think it would make it not as loud it would make it louder, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
            Looks cool!

That's a lot of green for .5W, tho ...
            Tell me about it. I'm not too clear headed when I get in the guitar shop.

I did buy it used tho for $600. It's in perfect condition for a used amp. I just wan't pure tube distortion at low volumes. We'll see where this leads.

I know there are tons of other options but when I told the guy I wanted Marshall tones at low volume he said I've got the perfect thing for you. As soon as he cranked out the first chord I was hooked. They know how to get you.

I'm sure this won't be the last amp I buy, but's it's cool for old school tones at bedroom/studio volumes.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Louder, yes, but not by much. You will increase frequency response and dispersion, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by ledzepp29
                if you added a cabinet why do you think it would make it not as loud it would make it louder, right?

I remember that on a home stereo if you have four speakers it cuts the wattage in half. I'm not sure about guitar amps, tho.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I don't think the volume actually gets louder when adding additional speakers. I think it is more of an illussion due to the fact your moving more air. If you have a Cab w/ 2 12" speakers vrs a cab w 4 12" speakers it will appear to be louder w 4 12" speakers. I also think you get a much stronger bottom end with more speakers! more articulation in the music you play!
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Well if your amp is 100 watts and rated down to 4 ohms and you are only using an 8 ohm spkr..... when you add another 8 ohm spkr you will get your full 100 watts. It will give you a lot more headroom.
                    "Play like a Champion"
                    PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                    Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                    Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

Working...
                    X