JTK 45 vrs. Plexi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JTK 45 vrs. Plexi

I am considering buying one of these two (ReIssue). As I am not familiar with these and have not been able to find them side by side yet. Can any of you here tell me what is the basic difference between the 50 watt Plexi & the JTK 45?
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Re: JTK 45 vrs. Plexi

The JTM 45 is pretty much a Fender 59 Bassman 45 watt direct copy..Warm,clean,and full sounding with decent clean headroom and either 5881 or 6L6 output tubes..

The Plexi has the nice clean tone also,but it also gets more agressive and has more gain when cranked up...Uses the EL34 tubes...Both amps are great and are legendary Marshall heads..The Plexi heads are rated for 50 watts(1987 model) and 100 watts(1959 model)..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

If you want to hear a great example of the JTM45's sound, with a Les Paul (it's the "Bluesbreaker" you know!) Listen to the John Mayal "Eric Clapton" "Beno Album" That's pretty much the way it will sound cranked...... Gary Moore is fond of them also but he uses pedals to drive them harder.
      "Play like a Champion"
      PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
      Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
      Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

I prefer the plexi, I love the solid state rectifier, explosive off the note like no other amp. It will be louder than the JTM but one could say the JTM is gonna be blusier due to the rectifier tube. Both are great, and both Reissue amps benefit from a bit of tweaking to get them to true vintage voicing, but even stock you can dial in some very nice tones.

Hit my link and you can hear my 1987X RI in action, I love the amp!!
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Oh man Dave how do you decide between those 2? When you make your choice I think we may have to have anohter forum get together.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I posted the same question here, before I got my 1987x. I love it. I have owned a JCM800 (2203) and a JMP (2204) and I like this amp a lot more. The clean sound is great and I love the natural overdrive. This amp really shines when you give it some volume.
            Kevlar and I both have several clips of this amp. I like greenbacks and Weber Blue Dog speakers in mine, for their midrange presence.
            My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I choosed the JTM45 because I wanted to get warm clean sound that can be boosted to get a slight crunch with a stomp box.
              The SLP is great also and can give higher overdrive but the output then is really loud ! Cranked, it doesn't suit for a club gig !

Both of them give good tone when used with a powerbrake or similar .

I really prefer them plugged in a Greenback loaded cab.
              Pickups used :
              Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
              PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
              PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
              PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
              PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
              PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
              PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
              PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
              PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
              Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
              Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
              SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Working...
              X