Fuzz Pedals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzz Pedals

I've been inspired to buy a fuzz pedal. I'm looking for a really thick, fuzzy, feedbacky tone that still has enough definition to make out notes. I'm talking Jimmy Page live in 1970 style fuzz. Any suggestions are welcome.

Re: Fuzz Pedals

Fuzz Face? Or perhaps a Fulltone '70?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

The Fulltone is more expensive than a lot of other pedals. Generally I think you get what you pay for ... is this another case of that?

Comment

Personally, I'd recommend the MJM Foxey Fuzz, but I think you're after a Tonebender if you want Page tones.

Comment

The Fulltone Soulbender is a reproduction of the Tonebender MK III, and its a seriously GREAT pedal. Its going to do best in front of a tube amp, and especially one that has a simple circuit like a Plexi, AC15, AC30 or Bassman. MJM also makes a Tonebender repro called the Britbender. Haven't used one, but the MP3s sound pretty good, and the HC reviews are good as well. I do own and use the Soulbender. Have tried other Tonebenders that weren't too good at all (despite the high price).
          "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
          R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
          http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Try PMing Jonnylane, or wait for him to turn up in this thread..

i know he's heavily into his fuzz pedals so maybe he'd have an idea
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

These look pretty good also.

There's some sound links on there, check 'em out.

Comment

While Page did indeed use a tonebender, I reckon you'd be better off avoiding it. I've played an original, and I've built several copies, and to be honest, I don't find it versatile at all. If it's exactly what you're looking for, that's great, but there was more to that particular Page tone than the fuzz pedal.

If it's your first fuzz, I reckon you should go for something versatile, even if you're after a specific tone. The Boss FZ-2 (which I've recently got hold of) is, while not ideal for getting the best possible sound, is spot on for experimentation and discovering what fuzz has to offer. The Zvex model is also excellent for variety, but it's very expensive for what it is.

On the flip side, we have things like the Fuzz Face, which, while being one of my favorite fuzz's, is totally a one trick pony (just volume and gain knobs baby!)

I say you should think about exactly what you want from a new fuzz pedal (you may want a one trick pony!) and research to find what you're after.

If you wanna sound like Page, buy his whole setup, as well as the Fulltone
                2002 PRS Singlecut, Duncan Custom / '59
                2002 Gibson LP Sandard, Duncan Custom / Burstbucker Pro
                Washburn BT2 "experimental guitar", ever changing pups
                Laney TT-20 + cab
                Marshall DSL50
                Enough effects to sink a battleship

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

"I, my friend, am danger on legs. DO NOT mess with me".

Comment

I'm not looking to sound exactly like Page. I'm just after that particular fuzz style to work in with my existing sound. My amp is pretty much set to be a one trick pony, but it's a good one (IMO), so I wouldn't mind a fuzz doing the same. Just as long as it does that one trick well.

Comment

I created a fuzz box page last time this question came up, with a couple demos of my ToneBender type pedals, which are my preference for fuzz.

honestly, I don't think versatility is usually the issue with fuzzes - most of the original circuits were fairly primitive anyway. You can see that in another page I have with a couple pics of an original Arbiter Fuzz Face.

One pedal that's more versatile is Voodoo Labs Superfuzz, but that's based on a different circuit.

For the tone you've described, the Tonebenders and tonebender clones will get you there.
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

I'm just concerned that in buying a one trick pony, you'll not like that particular one trick and could be scarred for life, never to look at the mother-fuzz again, which is a shame because it scares me that so many people spend their lives searching for the ultimate distortion, which to my ears often sounds too smooth and awfully bland. Fuzz is good for the soul.

Try a bunch out. It's hard, I know, because you'll be lucky to find 1 or 2 different fuzz pedals in any one store. If you have to go for one without trying (sacrilage!) then get a one that 'aint a one trick pony and experiment with it, then trade it on for something that does exactly what you want very well. It's my opinion that this is the quickest and most cost effective route into fuzz heaven.
                      Laney TT-20 + cab
                      Marshall DSL50

I build custom fuzz and switch/loop boxes! PM me with your dream and I'll see what I can do!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                        One pedal that's more versatile is Voodoo Labs Superfuzz, but that's based on a different circuit.
                        I love that pedal
                        Laney TT-20 + cab
                        Marshall DSL50

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnylane
                          I love that pedal
                          the Superfuzz is based on the Jordan Bosstone - the fuzz I used in high school! Voodoo Labs added a couple knobs for more control

I know that jeremy likes his, but again, it's a little different type fuzz tone
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

T. Rex Mudhoney. I just got this pedal a week ago, and it's everything I've ever wanted out of a fuzz pedal. It's almost hard to compare to another fuzz. To me, it sounds like a river of mud coming down a hill....like Hendrix plugged into Sabbath's rig.
                            I paid $190 for it, but it's gonna stay on my pedalboard for a long time. It's both an overdrive boost/fuzz.

MusicToyz.com has a wide selection of guitar effect pedals from delay to distortion pedals & everything in between. FREE shipping on all US orders over $99!

Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hello Hello--
                              Page used a MK II Tonebender [ 3 trannys and two knobs] with his Fender Telecaster for the Yardbirds and 1st Zep album [a little on the 2nd one, too]. The TB can work great with a Les Paul if you set the "fuzz" real low while the "volume" is set high [you can use it as a booster as well as a fuzz....]. I build a bunch of these fuzzes and sometimes changing a few things around in the circuit can make a BIG difference in how they react with your guitar and amp set up.
                              Brian.

Comment

Working...
                              X