Sustainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sustainer

Some guitars, (Jacksons being the only ones I know of, but I imagine others do this too) have a sustainer in place of a neck pickup. I have no idea how it works, but its a cool effect. I'm putting together a strat-type guitar that I'll be using for slide work, with humbuckers in the neck and middle positions. I was thinking it might be interesting to try one of these sustainers in the middle position. Would this work? And, where could I even find one of these? If anybody knows, are they passive or active? Like I said, I know next to nothing about these, I just thought added sustain with slidework could be a nice effect from time to time.

Re: Sustainer

I don't know if they'll work in the middle position. I think they have to be located under the 24th fret node (neck position) in order to work correctly, but I could be wrong.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

ah, thats very possible...i hadn't considered that.

Comment

It can only be mounted in the neck pup position ...
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I've wondered about that sustainer system myself... reliable?
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
            I've wondered about that sustainer system myself... reliable?
            Yes, very. I have an ooold Fernandez guitar, circa late 80's that I inherited from my singer ... it has the Sustainer on it ...
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Why is it that they will only work in the neck???
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3
              ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
              1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
              2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
              2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
              1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
              2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
              1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                Why is it that they will only work in the neck???

I think it's because it has to be under the 24th fret node, but I could be wrong.
                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Magnetic sustainers work by taking the signal from the bridge pickup, amplifying it, and pumping it out through a magnetic coil in the neck position (sort of like a pickup in reverse) that then vibrates the string. This gives you a pseudo-feedback effect that sustains the string for as long as the battery is pumping the juice.

Because the sustainer driver pumps out a pretty powerful electromagnetic field, it has to be positioned as far away as possible from the pickup it's getting its signal from, otherwise the magnetic field will cause serious feedback/interference with the bridge pickup's signal. That's why the bridge pickup is used as the source and the driver is located in the neck position.

For a lot more detail, take a look at the Sustainiac site. Check out their FAQ section as well. FYI, Sustainiac/Maniac Music have been in the sustainer business a long time, and they have continually been refined. Their sustainers are specifically designed to retrofit into existing guitars.

Comment

Ah isee... Thats cool pic in the site, HAs a Sustaniac and a Mini Bucker in the Neck Position of an epiphone..
                    Marshall JVM 410C
                    Mesa Boogie DC-3
                    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                    X