banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk to me about the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, please.

I'm looking for a nice, transparent OD/Boost, and so far the only pedals that have piqued my interest are the Fulltone Fulldrive II, and the Banzai Cold Fusion/Fireball. I'm really leaning toward the Fulldrive II, since it can run at 18v, it's a bit cheaper than the Banzai's, and it seems to have good resale value.

Re: Talk to me about the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, please.

Is it 18v or +-18v it runs??

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
      Is it 18v or +-18v it runs??
      Not sure how to answer that question! I believe it can run anywhere between 9 and 18v.

Comment

well, it's been a pretty popular OD over the years. It's a tubescreamer type tone, and pretty smooth.

the FDII is the first one I can think of that had a 2 stage OD, which is pretty smart

I have a couple custom colored ones - Ferrari yellow and red - and they sound great.

one thing about all of Mike's pedals is that they are very sturdy.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I have the newer FD2, the blue one. It is the best OD I have ever played!! You can hear it in action at www.twilight-odyssey.com, on the clips I have posted there. I use the FD2 and a Fat Boost as well, going into a Rivera K100 Knucklehead stack for my rhythm tone ...

Dunno if you're going to be using it the same way I use it, which is to smooth out the gain sound (thanx to the soft compression circuit in the FD2, which is amazing and often overlooked) as well as get a classic, old-school sound.

The FD2 is transparent when in bypass mode, and has enough going on when in OD mode to satisfy any tone you can imagine!!
          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-30-2004, 08:19 AM.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
            one thing about all of Mike's pedals is that they are very sturdy.
            This is very true; so far my FD pedals have withstood 2 cross-country tours!!

Comment

The Comp-Cut mode of the current FD2 is an excellent clean boost -- sounds better to me than a Fat Boost I tried. The Bad Bob Booster from RGW Electronics (sold through tonefactor.com and analogman) is an excellent clean boost that provides a bit of added presence for a good price. It is based on the same JFET circuit as the Fat Boost, but it is simpler and sounds a bit better to me. The FD2 and Bad Bob are my 2 current favorites.

Comment

i have the newest one as well, its very cool though ive only used it in 9v mode it is my primary means of overdrive, the boost switch is quite usefull
                i own stuff

Comment

Originally posted by guymanperson
                  i have the newest one as well, its very cool though ive only used it in 9v mode it is my primary means of overdrive, the boost switch is quite usefull
                  I use it the the boost always on, but turned all the way down. Gain upon gain!! lol

Comment

i love my FDII it is very transparent and has a great od sound for pushing a overdriven amp (that is how i use it ) it does sound kinda like a tubescreamer (good thing!) built like a tank i have a old orange one and it rocks ! i bet it would kill with your shiva!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                    Suhr OD-50
                    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Like Curly said, they're kind of a tubescreamerish pedal, mostly because you can faintly hear that clean/distorted blend, which gives smooth OD, but still gives you that underlying boldness. Then, the second stage sounds more like a focused sounding fuzz pedal. That new white one with cream knobs looks sweet! I'd pay the extra $20 and get that Fuller Custom Shop one.

Banzai pedals are also similar, but the Coldfusion is fatter and growlier, and the Fireball, which is setup just like the Fulltone, is like a crunchier Fulldrive with internal dipswitches to really tailor the gain. One of these days, I'd love to do an A/B between a Fulldrive and Fireball. I've had 2 Coldfusions, 1 Fireball, and the orange and blue Fulldrives. I remember liking the tone of the Coldfusion the most, and between the Fulldrive and Fireball, I'd probably choose the Fireball for humbuckers and the Fulldrive II for strats and Teles. That's how I'd decide.

Another pedal that has really caught my eye is made by a Japanese pedal wizard....
                      The Takky Drive. It's handmade, but has lots of tone shaping switches, and looks like it could be as good or better than the Fulltone or Banzai.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm gonna have to look into the Fireball now ...

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                          I'm gonna have to look into the Fireball now ...
                          They certainly look cool, too. They cost $200.

This is that FDII Custom Shop in white/cream/maroon SWEET!

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-30-2004, 01:49 PM.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

WOW, very cool looking ...
                            Switches are reversed from the FD2 ... it the input on the right looking down at the pedal?

Comment

STOP IT.......STOP IT.

Ok, does anyone have one to sell....I could go eBay, but if one of you has one. I'd like Yellow, Cream or Blue in that order.
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                              X