Marshall JTM 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JTM 30

I thought while im here i might as well ask this one. I am gassin for a marahall combo amp bad. I want channel swithching clean and lead. I had a single channel jcm 800 but had to trade it to get my old sg. My local store has a small Marshall JTM 30 that is currently being repaired. I can buy it for a song (200$) they swear it will last if not they will fix it or refund me. Is this thing worth having, is it going to be anywhere close to my old JCM 800 tone wise, or should i look into something else.
    76 Gibson SG Standard - cherry
    Gibson SG Standard - black
    Gibson Double cut special - black
    Gibson SG-X - sea green

67 Blackface Bassman
    Marshall 1960B (v-30s)
    ProCo - Rat
    Marshall JTM-30

Re: Marshall JTM 30

Buy that thing ASAP. I had a JCM600, which is almost the identical circuit as the JTM60, and it was one of the best amps stock that I owned. I have regretted selling that amp for a long time. The cleans were outstanding for a Marshall, verging on Fender like cleans, not quite, but you get the picture. The OD was very, very useable and had a nice range on it. The OD wasn't quite as thick and meaty as the JCM800 I sold it to get, but for all intensive purposes close enough.

$200 is a steal on that amp. 1x12 correct? Get it and don't look back.

***edit. Marshall also made a JCM600 in a 1x12 called the "601" (officially the JCM600 2x12 was the 602 model). The 601 should be the same circuit as the JTM 30. The only real difference I noticed was that the 600's had an added vent grill on top of the cab to allow heat from the tubes to escape. I know another member on this board that has the JTM 60 and won't part with it, and he has a Jubilee half stack to play with also. Great, great little amps.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-03-2004, 07:31 PM.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

thanks for the info jeff i called Tommy and told him i'd be in at 9 o'clock to pick her up I'm getting excited a new guitar and an amp all in one week. I'm like a kid in a candy store. Thank god i finally got out of college.

Before everyone thinks im stupid for selling a mint JCM 800 know this i screwed up and got the 100 watt model. Just way to much for my band. the other guitarist uses a hot rod deville 2 12 and i would have sold way more to get that SG anyway.
      Last edited by chad_svt; 08-03-2004, 07:41 PM.
      76 Gibson SG Standard - cherry
      Gibson SG Standard - black
      Gibson Double cut special - black
      Gibson SG-X - sea green

67 Blackface Bassman
      Marshall 1960B (v-30s)
      ProCo - Rat
      Marshall JTM-30

Comment

I think you'll be happy with it, especially if he is willing to guarantee that it's repaired properly. I'd ask him what he's done to it, but outside of it being completely abused, I'm sure it's fine.

If it's laid out like the 600's are with a series and a parallel effects loop, I've got a cool little trick for you to use that will beef up the gain quite nicely. At most this little trick will cost you $3.

Annother thing I will suggest for down the road a little, the stock speakers are pretty decent, but a nice Celestion or Eminence will really open the tone up on that amp. I put Eminence V12, which are V30 clones in the 600 I owned, and the low end response really tightened up. You can also really color your sound nicely with some pre-amp tubes and power amp tubes. Holler at me when you get it and let me know what's in it.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Yeah, definitely get it if it's a good price with a guarantee.

I have a JTM60 2x12 combo and it's a great amp. Supremely versatile for a Marshall combo.

I think the JTM30s have shared EQ between the two channels but that shouldn't be a major issue - in my book it's more than compensated for by the fact that you can crank the 30 and get the power tubes distorting more.

Tsk tsk, Jeff, you really shoulda kept that JCM600 y'know

Comment

I've got the JCM 600 1x12(601) and love how many great tones that I can get out of it. If the JTM 30 is anything like this, you will love it! Jeff, what $3 upgrade are you talking about?
            '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

That little trick about using a patch cable in the parallel effects loop. I told you about that.....didn't I ?? Simon told me, and I try to pass along the good stuff.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

One of the great amps

BUY BUY BUY
                Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F

Tsk tsk, Jeff, you really shoulda kept that JCM600 y'know

Haha I got that amp now, suckas!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                    That little trick about using a patch cable in the parallel effects loop. I told you about that.....didn't I ?? Simon told me, and I try to pass along the good stuff.
                    Yep, that's the one. Just didn't want to think that I was missing out on some of your vast knowledge!
                    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Working...
                    X