Please help with a PRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with a PRS

I am desperate to get a PRS. I cannot afford a custom or McCarty or any other real one for that matter so I want to get a Santana SE. The only problem is I absolutely HATE the pickguard. I would replace the pups with genuine PRS ones, but have no idea what to do about the pickguard. Can anybody give me some ideas how to remove it without leaving holes in my insturment. The only thing I can think of is to leave the screws in, sans pickguard, but I dont know how it would look. Please give me some ideas.

why don't you get one from the first year that doesn't have the pickguard? I bet you can find em on eBay. Otherwize, i think you might consider a different brand. I don't know if there is any routing under that guard, but even if there isn't it's going to look funny with either holes or screws.
    Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I would consider maybe a schecter c-1.

They are PRSish without the tag, it sounds liek you are looking for the name, not the guitar.

Comment

You cant go wrong with Schecter. Also, Check out Rondo Music. They have some PRS style guitars for a good price.

Last edited by Skullkrusher; 03-24-2004, 07:50 PM.

Comment

i agree with proxy .. some of those schecters are simply beautiful to hear, play, and see ... and i agree that the santana SEs are hideous with the pickguard ... i am afraid that trying to remove one will leave more problems than you can fix ... even if you fill the holes with woodfiller and find a way to match the colour nicely, it might not have a good look .... heck, it might even be covering a rout !!!

good luck

cheers
          t4d
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Go with a used Hamer Studio instead. They look similar to a McCarty, and are about $1000 less on the used market. The quality of Hamer guitars is right up there with PRS.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Or a Musicman - less emphasis on the PRS look I guess but a great pro guitar

Comment

Musicman imo doesn't look like a PRS,
                addmitedly i have only seen the JP model.

Comment

It looks like they have some of the old ones at Guitar Heaven:

Comment

I saw a dark green SE with no pickguard on Ebay yesterday for around $300! Nice!
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                    X