FRED's - I suggest you get them!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRED's - I suggest you get them!!!

I just today replaced the silicon diodes in the rectifier circuit on my amp with a set of HEX FRED's, what major improvement in TONE!!!! For those of you with solid state rectified amps using cheap silicone diodes I highly recommend you make this mod!!!!! My gain is clear, chrunchy and with no nasty high end sizzle. The mod was easy on my amp as the board with the disgusting silicone diodes was easily removed and modded. If you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to get you some information.

Re: FRED's - I suggest you get them!!!

What amp did you do it to?
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I put them in my Framus Dragon head, easy to do - the four silicon diodes are usually located next to the large filter capacitors in an amps power section - in the case of this amp the power board is a seperate PCB than the main PCB so it was easy to remove, mod and put back in, I removed them (noting where the cathode of each diode was by making a small drawing) and installed the FRED's so the cathode was aligned properly, only took a few minutes and the results are impressive. All of the high end sizzle has cleared up and the amp now has a sweet singing sound when the gain is up.

Comment

for those of you who dont know what a FRED is (or hexfred), it is a fast recovery epitaxial diode. and hexfred, is a high efficiency type FRED.

they can generally help to reduce diode noise and hash.

germ
        Jeremy Ledford
        Tone Guru Extroardinaire
        Tone Shop

Comment

Wow, that's good to know. Thanks for the info on that. would you know if that's a mod that can be done on most amps or is just SS rect. amp?

Boze.

Comment

The mod is just for a SS rectified amp - but there are some SS replacements for a tube rectifier that may utilize FRED's - I'm not sure. But better than a SS relplacement tube for a tube rectifier I suggest picking up a NOS Mullard rectifier tube, they'll last forever and really improve the tone of your amp.

Comment

Working...
            X