The Solder From Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Solder From Hell

Iwas trying to replace the power cord in my silverface princeton because it was fraying and the ground plug broke off. Opened it up and went to desolder the leads, but I couldn't get them hot enough to melt, I had my soldering iron on 30w and at best the stuff got soft enough to indent but I could not for the life of me melt it.

Any Ideas?

Yeah, some of that old stuff is a veritable ***** to melt.

Comment

Thanks, what is that **** made out of, out of curiousity.

Comment

You can try a desoldering braid and a bunch of Flux. It will take some time but you'll get it. Cheaper that buying a solder gun.
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

it depends. maybe try removing ther ground lug from the chassis first. i suspect the chassis is acting like a heat sink.
          or, just clip em, and make a new connection somehow. PM or yahoo me if you need anymore help.

germ
          Jeremy Ledford
          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
          Tone Shop

Comment

I'll try the flux, but I could be a while till i get my hands on some. I usually use a solder sucker, will the braid give me that much of an advantage?

I'd prefer not to clip so if I get my hands on another fender power cord I could replace the ACE hardware one and keep the chassis nice and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
              I'll try the flux, but I could be a while till i get my hands on some. I usually use a solder sucker, will the braid give me that much of an advantage?

I'd prefer not to clip so if I get my hands on another fender power cord I could replace the ACE hardware one and keep the chassis nice and clean.
              With a solder sucker You have get the solder melted or soupy B4
              it works right? With a braid and flux if You can get a little bit melted
              at a time,And get it to stick to the braid I think it will work better.
              Gonna take some time to do
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Yea, i mostly use it for conveinence and cost saving

Comment

Originally posted by proxy
                  Thanks, what is that **** made out of, out of curiousity.
                  100% silver? Time to break out the blowtorch!

Comment

Working...
                  X