Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best guitar players youve never heard of

AMEN to Gary Hoey....just pre-ordered his "Greatest Hits"

Johnny Hiland: Tele "beater" extraordinaire ala Danny Gatton...just pre-ordered his CD.

Johnny A.: AMAZING jazz/blues/rock player.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Agree with a lot of the above, but have heard of many of them. Have 4-5 Keaggy albums myself, as well as some of the others.

An aside (as long as we are talking about Yes) is Trevor Rabin who replaced Steve Howe when he went to Asia. Really gifted on stringed instruments. Does mostly production and arranging now, I think (but not sure).

If you are ever in Ann Arbor, MI, on Wednesday or Thursday nights, stop by "Goodnight Gracie's" on Huron street to listen to Laith Al-Saadi. Plays any kinds of music in any style on his ASAT. 24 years old and known locally as a very gifted guy. He played a Coltrane song on the guitar, blew people away, including me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkf411
        Prince - that fool can play a Tele.
        cough cough.
        nah hes alright! and i didnt no he could play

i havnt heard of any of these guys!!! puts me to shame realy, but i bet im not the only 1

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
          Johnny Hiland: Tele "beater" extraordinaire ala Danny Gatton...just pre-ordered his CD.

Johnny A.: AMAZING jazz/blues/rock player.
          Good thing you mentioned these guys when you did, because they're not going to be unkown (at least in players circles) for long...
          -Butch Snyder
          butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

Originally posted by brianwenz
            Hello Hello Owl-
            Yeah, Howe [or, for that matter the rest of Yes...] never admitted the debt they owed to Peter's playing. Do you have any Blodwyn Pig when Banks was playing for them??
            Brian
            I've heard 2 Blodwyn Pig albums (loved 'em too) but I don't know if Pete recorded anything with them during his rather short tenure in the band.
            Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Hello Hello-
              They re-named the band "Blodwyn" and recorded some stuff for the BBC, but that was all.
              One of Pete's other bands was "Empire"....I think there's three cd's for them.
              Do you already have the album he did with Jan Akkerman?
              Brian.

Comment

Ekette Akateke jr. (B.C. 10232-10218)

He's the most talented guitarist ever walked on the Earth. Unfortunately guitars weren't invented in his time because his contemporaries were fascinated by percussive instruments and haven't invented the proper wheel yet that is a must if you want to build a Les Paul with pickups. He was eaten up by a non-vegetarian mammooth at the age of 14, anyway.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

Originally posted by brianwenz
                  Hello Hello-
                  They re-named the band "Blodwyn" and recorded some stuff for the BBC, but that was all.
                  One of Pete's other bands was "Empire"....I think there's three cd's for them.
                  Do you already have the album he did with Jan Akkerman?
                  Brian.
                  Thanks for that info, I'd be curious to hear some of that stuff!

The disc w/ Akkerman and others you refer to is called "Two Sides of Peter Banks". It was reissued on CD by the One Way label for a limited period of time. You may get lucky and find a copy of it on E-bay, I unfortunately don't own it, though I'd love to.

As far as Empire, it's not really anything that good (an attempt at commercial success), for die-hard completeists only
                  Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Originally posted by BS123
                    Good thing you mentioned these guys when you did, because they're not going to be unkown (at least in players circles) for long...
                    Yeah you got that right. Especially Johnny A. He's getting a lot of press lately!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Hello Owl--
                      I've had a vinyl copy of "Both Sides" for ages......it's o.k. I prefer some of the live Flash stuff......they could get a good flow of energy going sometimes.
                      Yeah, Empire was really Pete's quest for another record deal.......there were so many different members in that band it became an ongoing project that lasted for years! I went to lots of the Empire rehearsals and never knew who was going to be playing bass or drums........and then the singer kept quitting to go back to New York and be with Ray Bennett {Flash's bassist} !!
                      Brian.

Comment

Bryan Sutton. That guy can literally burn the neck off an acoustic guitar, he's the best I've ever heard by a wide margin. I'll guarantee you any guitar player will be blown away the first time they hear him.

Comment

Mick Green of The Pirates.

In my opinion he should be grouped with Clapton, Beck, Page, Peter Green, Pete Townshend, Keef etc..... but he's not nearly as well known.

He's toured recently with Paul McCartney (shared guitar duties with David Gilmour) and Bryan Ferry.

Plays an absolutely killer "rhythm and lead at the same time" trio style. Well, he invented it actually.

Comment

Hello Hello-
                            Yeah, how could I have forgotten Mick Green! Another vote for 'im!
                            Brian.

Comment

Hello Hello--
                              Actually, while we're at it.........Wilko Johnson.
                              Brian.

Comment

Working...
                              X