banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input and Output settings on rack equipment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input and Output settings on rack equipment?

On my rack effects I have been keeping my input and output knobs turned about halfway. Seems like anything more and the signal seems too strong. What do you guys do?
    Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
    VHT 2502
    (2) Randal XLT 4X12
    (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
    Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
    Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
    http://www.robertkeeley.com
    Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
    Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Re: Input and Output settings on rack equipment?

I try to set the input level as high as I can without overloading it while pounding on the strings.

Then, I try and set the output so that it's the same volume as it would be if you didn't have anything in the loop.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
      I try to set the input level as high as I can without overloading it while pounding on the strings.

Then, I try and set the output so that it's the same volume as it would be if you didn't have anything in the loop.
      +1
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
        +1
        +2, That's called maximizing signal to noise ratio ... that clip light is there for a reason other than to indicate clipping ... The output should pretty much balance what the signal would be if the effect wasn't there, that way everything stays the same as far as say ... an amp's loop or power amp input is concerned.
        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

One other thing also, most clip lights don't actually indicate the onset of clipping, now this depends upon the units, but most out there are set slighly below the clip point, so now that if that clip light flickers every once in a while that's okay, you probably wouldn't hear a difference even on a clean signal.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I am setup pretty good. I was wondering though because my Chandler doesn't have any type of indication light. Just as a side note. Something I wasn't really familiar with. On my Hush and Intellifex there is a Ref button. This should be set at +4 instead of -10 if you are using a rack. The -10 is only used for studios and it ends up overdriving the signal if you are not. Thanks again guys!
            VHT 2502
            (2) Randal XLT 4X12

Comment

Originally posted by Burkwieser
              Thanks guys. I think I am setup pretty good. I was wondering though because my Chandler doesn't have any type of indication light. Just as a side note. Something I wasn't really familiar with. On my Hush and Intellifex there is a Ref button. This should be set at +4 instead of -10 if you are using a rack. The -10 is only used for studios and it ends up overdriving the signal if you are not. Thanks again guys!
              Err, ... not quite the -10 is more for lower levels, semi-pro multi tracks and such, the +4 is for pro line level, and works best with preamp outputs, if the unit was put thru an amp's FX loop that was a send and return for pedal levels then -10 would be the way to go, pushing a preamp output into it, +4 would be the way to go ... also there is usually an impedance difference as well ... nothing to worry about, it just works out better on +4 for preamps and for line level outputs from mixers and what not. A good way to zero in you gain is to test your cleans, get it without clipping and then set you distortions to the same level ... most people wind up setting up their cleans a bit louder than their distortions because of the headroom difference, accounting for the greater peaks of the cleans, even though the distortions come out a bit louder sounding. If it works good clean, it will work good dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                Err, ... not quite the -10 is more for lower levels, semi-pro multi tracks and such, the +4 is for pro line level, and works best with preamp outputs, if the unit was put thru an amp's FX loop that was a send and return for pedal levels then -10 would be the way to go, pushing a preamp output into it, +4 would be the way to go ... also there is usually an impedance difference as well ... nothing to worry about, it just works out better on +4 for preamps and for line level outputs from mixers and what not. A good way to zero in you gain is to test your cleans, get it without clipping and then set you distortions to the same level ... most people wind up setting up their cleans a bit louder than their distortions because of the headroom difference, accounting for the greater peaks of the cleans, even though the distortions come out a bit louder sounding. If it works good clean, it will work good dirty.
                Cool! Thanks.
                VHT 2502
                (2) Randal XLT 4X12

Comment

Working...
                X