No announcement yet.

Carried away with heavy gauge strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Carried away with heavy gauge strings?

Well, c'mon guys. When you play the string guages I play, then switch down to 10's, when you think it's enough, it's too much. LOL. I think my truss rod it fine, since you would think that it's alot of tension, but it's really not. I've never had a problem with bowing or warping, which can show up with guages as low as 10's. I reckon I just know how to set 'em up.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

9s for me. I play very lightly, and a guitar synth seems to track better with 9s anyway. I don't want to work to hard, and don't need to.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use 11-48s(power slinky) on the fender and 11-54s(beefy slinky) on the V and strat copy for a little extra oomph When your hands get strong enough you can bend 11s as far as 9s or 10s and you can shred just as easily. 11s seem to give a nice warm tone to the guitar too. I'm thinking of putting the not even slinky's on my V as I tune that down to drop C#.
        MIM Fender Strat-stock
        Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
        Dean V X- 85/81
        Crybaby From Hell
        Ibanez DE7
        ADA MP-1
        Furman EQ
        Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

I used to use GHS boomers 11-50's on all of my tremolo guitars and 11-53 low tuners on my les paul religiously. Before switching, I got to the point where I was doing Zakk-esque vibrato on my strings, which I didn't like at the time. I bumped up a gauge, and that proved to suit my style better. Through the years, I built up enough finger strength to start busting out the Zakk-esque vibrato, even on the 11's!!! I felt rather proud of myself.

Somehow, I started slipping up and going back to my rhythm roots. My lead technique was extremely lacking, and I couldn't do what I was able to do before. I wanted to go down a gauge and build myself back up again, but I didn't want to lose the low end that I have now. Naturally I would have gone with the TNT boomers, but I didn't like how the A string was actually bigger than the low tuners, so I went with the Ernie Ball LTHM's. Best strings EVAR!!! Maybe one of these days I'll bump back up to 11's. For now, I'm sticking with these.

Oh, and the 62 gauge as the low B on my 7 strings stays no matter what.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

Looks like I got everyone beat not that inviting CTS is what I wanna do, but I could crush you with my bare hands ! (not really, I just felt like saying that) Later guys!
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

My preference on Electrics are 11's, and I tune to pitch. The primary reason why I stepped up was I also play a lot of acoustic guitar. On acoustic I use 13's. I found going from 13's to 10's was just to difficult. Like Beandip said, I was breaking a lot of strings. I now use 11's on all electric and 13's on all acoustics. The transition is much easier. I also play with acoustic action on my electrics..... this also helps. I found the difference between 10'sand 11's with higher action barlely noticable as far as playing goes, but tone wise the heavier the string the better the tone. This has become so comortable that when I go in to a music store I can hardly ever play a guitar off the rack. Most manufacturers ship the electric guitars with 9's..... I just can't play anything that light anymore.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                Looks like I got everyone beat not that inviting CTS is what I wanna do, but I could crush you with my bare hands ! (not really, I just felt like saying that) Later guys!
                BRING IT!!!!

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

beandip i use to play 14 gauge strings like u when i played blues and such but when i started playing yngwie( who use 8 guage strings by the way) i just couldnt do that anymore so i switched. Beandip i dare u to play steve vai type stuff on 14 guage strings.
                  Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                  The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

I probably could crush your head like a zit. Just sayin.....Naw, just kiddin man. I'll save my muscles for muggers and farm equipment.

Comment

I use 10's or 11's, depending on the guitar, and what I use it for.
                      12's for acoustic
                      13's for Dobro
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                        I probably could crush your head like a zit. Just sayin.....Naw, just kiddin man. I'll save my muscles for muggers and farm animals.
                        Farm Animals?? j/k

Comment

Working...
                        X