Zeppelin organ sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeppelin organ sounds

Does anybody know what kind of organ/keyboard JPJ plays on "Since I've Been Loving You" and "No Quarter"? I know whatever it is would be way too expensive to get ahold of, but it was starting to bug me, not knowing after watching the DVD and Song Remains The Same today.

Re: Zeppelin organ sounds

I'd have to hear those songs again to give you an accurate answer, but I'd imagine it was a Hammond B-3. There's nothing like the sound of a cranked up B-3 or Clavinet, Mellotron, or Rhodes. I wish those sounds were more prevalent in todays music. They are to a certain extent, but not enough IMO.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      I'd have to hear those songs again to give you an accurate answer, but I'd imagine it was a Hammond B-3. There's nothing like the sound of a cranked up B-3 or Clavinet, Mellotron, or Rhodes. I wish those sounds were more prevalent in todays music. They are to a certain extent, but not enough IMO.
      AMEN! JPJ used quite a bit of the Mellotrons also (who didn't then), I can't remember but I don't think it was a B-3, it think the studio recording was done on a remote location using some smaller pipe organ in some church somewhere. I think that's what I read, and I think they overlay a bit of spinet organ with it ... couldn't tell ya, a good synth will get you close those, with all the layering ability that they have on today's models. Would be nice to know though. I still liked the vibrato/tremolo/phaser keys on No Quarter myself ... man, moody and etheral, with subtle spookiness ...
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

AAAh... that mid-song jam in No Quarter is one of my favorites.... either live or studio! A great moment!
        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

No Quarter was a Rhodes, which you can find duplicated on many synths today- used all over today's R&B as well.
          Kashmir and Stairway were the Mellotron, a horrible beast of an instrument, that sounded good when it was in tune...you can get the in-tune Mellotron today from G-Media's M-Tron softsynth. I use it all over my recordings.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
            ....the Mellotron, a horrible beast of an instrument, that sounded good when it was in tune...
            And when it worked ... I really do like that tremolo/vibratoe phaser effect used on the Rhodes in No Quarter though, very haunting, and the grand (well acoustic) piano mixed in the background was excellent as well.
            ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
            ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
            Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I spent 3 years playing alongside probably the best Hammond B-3 player in LA.
              I still play with him sometimes, but he's like the Hendrix of Hammond. I used to call his tone AC/B3. He also had a clavinet, synths, and Rhodes, but Hammond was his forte'
              The opening to our set was something that would send chills down your spine. His big, swirling distorted B-3, with me doing slide licks. Man, I miss playing with all those sounds underneath. Playing in a 4 piece rock band just sounds naked in comparison.
              Now, it's up to me to make things interesting. It was easier having a keyboard wizz in the band. We just had to keep from stepping on each other's toes, which wasn't easy.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
              X