Maple cap or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maple cap or not?

Ok I'm 99% sure about that tele, cept for the cap or not thing.

atm the specs that are deffinate are H/S/S, hardtail stringthrough, very thick maple neck and rosewood board.

I want it to have a mahogany body deffinately but im unsure about the maple cap.

Basically i want a full tone with good clarity out of this axe, but it still has to cut through.

So will the maple add to the clarity or just make it too bright?

I'm thinking the thickness of the neck will add a bit more fatness to the tone and maybe get rid of some treble, which the maple cap would put back?

I really do not have a clue.

thanks in advance
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: Maple cap or not?

Without a shadow of a doubt, get the maple cap. It will add a little extra top end to work with single coils and help the humbucker cut through better.

That's the perfect wood combination IMHO: mahogany/maple body, maple/rosewood neck. It's versatile enough to do both single coils and humbuckers perfectly.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I agree with Chris - get the maple top. IMO the finishing qualities of a maple cap are far superior than mahogany. I also believe that the maple cap might brighten things up a smidge, but in the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure how much of a tonal difference you'd noticebetwwen cap and no cap..
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Is it a maple cap or a maple veneer? That is, is it a thick cap like an LP or a thin maple veneer like a Warmoth? If it's the veneer, it won't make a noticeable difference.

If it's a true cap like an LP, keep in mind that maple caps can sometime make a guitar too bright. Since you all ready have a maple neck, I vote "no cap".
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

My SG is all mahagony without a maple cap.....and it certainly cuts thru the mix and has a nice bite to it. I believe with the right pups and eq mix you don't need the maple cap. The SG has more mids and bite than the Schecter does (which has the maple cap) and both are running the JB in the bridge.
          PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
          PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
          GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
          Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
          Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
          various pedals

Comment

SG isn't half as thick as a real Tele or LP though, so it doesn't need a cap to counteract the dark tone of a big chunk of mahogany.
            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
              SG isn't half as thick as a real Tele or LP though, so it doesn't need a cap to counteract the dark tone of a big chunk of mahogany.
              The SG is the same thickness as my Schecter (sans the maple cap) though.
              All I can figure out is perhaps it's different types of rosewood for the fingerboard?
              PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
              PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
              GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
              Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
              Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
              various pedals

Comment

I agree, I'd go with a mahogany body/maple cap w hardrock maple neck/rosewood fretboard. For H-S-S guitars, it's hard to beat. When I put down my H-S-S strat, which is alder/maple/rosewood, and pick up my G&L Invader, the tone and pickups seem much bigger and more present. Somehow, I think H-S-H looks better on a tele. Considering your style, you may want a fullsize humbucker in the neck, with the ability to split it.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X