banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about downgrading to a Les Paul Studio...lighter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about downgrading to a Les Paul Studio...lighter?

Well, my '73 Les Paul Custom is just too much guitar for me. I need something that I don't have to worry about as much! I'm interested in late model Studios...are they decent? How's the weight compared to an old Custom (which is real heavy! )

Re: Thinking about downgrading to a Les Paul Studio...lighter?

Originally posted by mrid
    Well, my '73 Les Paul Custom is just too much guitar for me. I need something that I don't have to worry about as much! I'm interested in late model Studios...are they decent? How's the weight compared to an old Custom (which is real heavy! )
    MRID...IM Midnite Man with all of your questions...He just bought one..Bobby is a phenomenal guy and that's reason enough to IM him..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I have a 2001 Studio - before they added some thickness to them. It's great. I wouldn't say it's light. After 3 hours I feel it in my 40 year old back but it's way lighter than what your're used to. My buddy has brand new Standard and tone wise it's on par. I say go for it if you want to have something lighter and a little less to worry about at gigs and in transit. I've heard tons of complaining about Gibson quality - no complaints here.

Comment

a studio is lighter than your custom but its not any lighter than a classic or standard though

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, John.
          I'm no authority on Les Pauls, 59Paul is the man to talk to on this subject and helped me immensely in my research on Paulys, but I do know after playing a Studio, a Standard and a Classic that the only difference I can tell between the three is the fact that the Studio doesn't have any binding. That's it.
          I bought a Studio built in the 90's which are great years for Les Pauls. I looked for and found a '95 Studio that has turned out to be an excellent-playing guitar. I put a JB/Jazz set of pups in it, gave it a set-up, and turned it into the best-sounding and playing guitar I currently own. Tone for days, sustain, playability....the Pauly sound is all there.
          The weight issue is the same as it ever was. All three models pretty much weigh the same. Unless the binding and flashy finishes make a big difference to you, the Studio is a great way to get all the Les Paul tone you desire at a great savings. There's plenty of used Studios available out there for anywheres between $550 and $750, and 90% of 'em either has an ebony or wine-red finish with chrome or gold hardware (you can see what I chose in my avitar). There are some nice looking "vintage burst" finished Studios out there, but rare. It's a highly underrated guitar as far as I'm concerned.
          But don't get me wrong, if I had an extra five or six hundred to just throw out on a nice Standard or Classic with a sweet "burst" finish and binding I'd do it in a minute....lol....but this Studio will do the job just fine for now, thank-you.
          Good luck!
          ....Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bgood
            I have a 2001 Studio - before they added some thickness to them. It's great. I wouldn't say it's light. After 3 hours I feel it in my 40 year old back but it's way lighter than what your're used to. My buddy has brand new Standard and tone wise it's on par. I say go for it if you want to have something lighter and a little less to worry about at gigs and in transit. I've heard tons of complaining about Gibson quality - no complaints here.
            I forgot to add in my other post; but as far as the year/made issue goes, and from my research, the 80's models were the years that had the most inconsistency in manufacturing quality. The 90's and 2000's models are for the most part pretty well made, but a wise owl told me that 1995 was an exceptional year.
            .....Bob

Comment

A '94 has been my main axe since about '96.

I have ZERO complaints. It is hands down, the most reliable guitar I own, and I have abused the hell out of it. 70 degree temperature changes, neck bends, dropped it several times, knocked it over twice, banged the headstock into inumerable solid objects along the way... nothing phases it. What is really remarkable is how well it stays in tune despite all that.

I have to admit, I have never played a real Les Paul for more than 15 minutes, so I can't compare those issues.

Comment

I don't really know anything about the studios...

But anything has got to be lighter than a '73. Aren't the early 70's models some of the heaviest LP's made?

My buddy had one that tipped the scales at over 10lbs

Comment

what about a studio lite? those are the ones that are supposedly carved out and filled with some light stuff that makes em easier on the back.
                  Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I don't think you'll find a lot of weight difference between the newer Customs/Standards and the newer Studios. However, the newer guitars may be a bit lighter than the earlier versions. Back in the 70's Gibson had a "14 rings per inch" standard for acceptable wood. Somewhere in the last 20 years that changed, so the wood isn't as dense as it was in the 70's, hence, not as heavy. I think you'll still be pleased with the overall tone of the instruments, though. I understand the bit about your '73. My '76 Custom is one of the heaviest guitars I've ever played and porks out at about 14 pounds. There is a thread that was just started here by someone who just got a new Studio. May wanna check with him.
                    Last edited by Hellion; 08-11-2004, 10:10 PM.
                    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

cough*Hamer*cough

Excuse me, got something in my throat.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Mahogany used in many of the 70s Gibsons was heavy because of its high mineral content. Employees could routinely pick pieces of silica out of the wood with a pocketknife. Not good. Weight-relieved bodies were the "solution" to the problem. I'd be looking at a used Hamer. If I had a choice between a Hamer Studio and a Gibson Studio in the same price range, it would probably be the Hamer that went home with me.

Comment

Originally posted by kaknight
                          what about a studio lite? those are the ones that are supposedly carved out and filled with some light stuff that makes em easier on the back.
                          YUP ! Gibson did make a studio Lite model a few years ago!! But a
                          Normal LP Studio is just a HEAVY !! as a STD. or deluxe. Last gig I
                          did with my Studio LP I put my back out !! I had to borrow
                          the other guitarist Tele to finish the Gig. I no longer have
                          that guitar.
                          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

would you be selling this std?
                            if so how much?

ps if its too heavy just tie some helum ballons to it! it looks good and its practicle!

Comment

Originally posted by shred me good
                              would you be selling this std?
                              if so how much?
                              This is a Custom...73...in super condition, with Tonepros, new frets, new nut, custom Duncan PAF's (A3 Seth Lover Neck, A5 Antiquity bridge). I'd like to get around $1850 shipped, which is a hell of a deal, considering what I put into this guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X