New Hamer In The House!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hamer In The House!!

This is a very respectable guitar for the money. It's in great shape with only one small ding on the lower back edge that the buyer really didn't disclose. Not enough of an issue to cause any problems with me.

The blue finish is nice, but a little darker than I had hoped for. I thought the pic on the auction was probably just poor, but it's dark enough where you really have to tilt it to see the flame maple grain showing through. I'll get in in the sunlight tomorrow and see how it looks, and post some pics.

Can't plug it into the amp tonight as the wife has a migrane, but I've been plinking around with it unplugged for about a 1/2 hour now. It's a loud, resonant guitar. Lighter than I expected, I'm guessing under 8 lbs. The tuners seem solid...Grover knock off's. They have the same footprint as my locking Grovers, so an upgrade may be in the future. The neck is really comfortable, not too thick, not to thin. Feels like a 12 degree radius or so. I'll report on the Duncan Designed pups when I get a chance to plug it in. Anyone know which DD's come in this thing?

The first order of business will be to replace the pups. I've got a double cream C5 comming, and I think I'll match that with a double cream Seth neck I've got laying around for now. I'm worried that the C5 will be too bright, because this guitar seems naturally bright...but we'll see. If this guitar is any indication of the quality that Hamer builds it's USA line to, I can see why they're so highly regarded.

I think I got a steal at $245 shipped, including a TLK hardshell case. Not a top of the line model case, but a hardcase none the less. This won't cure my gas for a blue strat like I was hoping it would, but it's going to be a great little player I have a feeling.

My Sound Clips

Re: New Hamer In The House!!

I think all Hamers are like that in regards to the color, I have a transparent green one, and it looks much darker in a poorly lit area. I think the grain will show up a little better in the sunlight. As far as the radius, if it's built to the same specs as the American models, the radius is 14. The Duncan Designed pickups should have a marking on the bottom that'll tell you what model they are, offhand I'm not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up liking that guitar better than some more expensive American-made models by other companies. I'm convinced that the quality of Hamer guitars is unmatched by any other company, and if the imports are even half as good as the American models, I think you'll really like it.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

sweet jeff!!!

i'm really gassin for a Hamer right now myself...(as you know )

glad to hear another good report!
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Hey Jeff,

Glad to hear you like your new axe. I've heard good things about the American Hamers but they are a bit pricey for someone like me. I've noticed some of the imports before but I've not heard much about them. I'm happy to be reading that you got a guitar that you seem to be happy with so far, for under $300. I'm sure I'm not the only one when I say I'd love to see some pics when you get them, and hear some clips. Best of Luck with it.
        -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
        Vox VT15
        Washburn D10SCE
        Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Jeff,

What is sweeter is the picture in your avat. Please tell me that she is a nice Carolina girl. I'm also assuming that she is that hot in person, too.
          Guitars: 2006 Custom Order VOS '59 Reissue w/ MJ 'Duane PAFs'; 2002 '58 Reissue w/ RS Fralin Neck and Timbucker Bridge; 1989 Clapton Strat with Chubtone '63's; 1994 Tom Dodson Custom Strat with 14 year-old Hot Rails, and Classic Stack; 1991 Tele Plus Deluxe w/ Tremelo and Dually Red-Lace Sensors

Duncan Strat Pickups I've Tried: Hot Rails, 5/2's, Classic Stack, Antiquity I's & AII's, PGn and PGb, '59n and '59b, Standard Custom, Sreamin Deamon, various Antiquities & MJ Custom PAFs.

Comment

I wanna see pics

Comment

Originally posted by StratTom
              Hey Jeff,

Glad to hear you like your new axe. I've heard good things about the American Hamers but they are a bit pricey for someone like me. I've noticed some of the imports before but I've not heard much about them. I'm happy to be reading that you got a guitar that you seem to be happy with so far, for under $300. I'm sure I'm not the only one when I say I'd love to see some pics when you get them, and hear some clips. Best of Luck with it.
              Actually, if you don't mind going the Ebay route, you can get a used American Studio for a very good price. I picked mine up for $630 shipped.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                Actually, if you don't mind going the Ebay route, you can get a used American Studio for a very good price. I picked mine up for $630 shipped.

Ryan
                That sounds like a good deal as well. What are some of the differences between the American and Import models?
                -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
                Vox VT15
                Washburn D10SCE
                Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Congrats Jeff! Can't wait to see it. Mine should be here on Tuesday according to tracking etc. I just saw this thread and I recently sent you a photoshopped pic to determine what you thought about me going with double cremes. Looks like we were thinking the same thing I guess. I don't like the look of gold plated pups really. Are your mounting rings creme colored? Mine look like they are in the pics, but it's hard to tell until they get here.

Comment

I wanna see some pics.

Comment

Originally posted by StratTom
                      That sounds like a good deal as well. What are some of the differences between the American and Import models?
                      Pretty much the same difference between most American/import models. Better woods, more skilled builders, top notch electronics...and all American made Hamers come with Duncan pickups stock. Hamer still builds their American models 100% by hand. They complete only three guitars per day, whereas Gibson turns out over 30 in a day. I would recommend that you check out www.hamerguitars.com, you'll be amazed at everything that goes into producing one guitar.

Ryan

Comment

Hamer guitars Rawk, My next axe is going to be the Hamer double cutaway flametop. I seriously feel guilty paying so little for such a nice guitar. Korean made or not, the import Hamers impress the hell out of me.
                        Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

Working...
                        X