Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with pro's/con's or guitar body shapes

Hey guys.

My Grandfather recently died after a relatively long bout of illness, and I've been told by my Dad that when the funeral etc has been paid for myself and my sister (my Grandfathers only Grand children) will be getting a sum of money that my Grandad had been saving up for us.

It has been suggested that we use some of the money in-order to buy a keepsake of my Grandad, so that we'll always have something to remember him by.

I've decided to spend my share of the money on a custom guitar, because it's something that will be made specifically for me, will be a 1 of a kind item and will be something I'll keep forever.

I've decided upon the spec of the guitar that I want, all apart from 1 important thing: the shape!

I have it narrowed down to something along the lines of either a PRS Custom22 or a LP style. Is there any pros/cons of each that you guys could list for me? So that I can make a decision about what I want

I know this is kind of a weird question, but I hope someone can help me

Thanx

Craig

Re: Need help with pro's/con's or guitar body shapes

The CU22 will have easier high fret acess because of the second cutaway.

The LP will have more low mids because it doesnt have it.

I see you already have a Gibbo, why not get the PRS style for a bit of variety?
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

umm, i dont know any.. just whatever you prefer

and my condolances man

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
        and my condolances man
        Sh1t that was rude of me to not put that...

My condolances also
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Thanx for the posts and condolances guys

I do already own 2 LPs (Epi and Gibson) so I know I like Les Pauls, but that's also a reason why I was gonna go for the PRS style shape.

I was just curious if there would be that much difference in the sound if I had the exact same spec guitar, but just with the other body shape.

For reference, here's the spec I plan on:

Mahogany body, maple top (whatever the shape will be)
          Mahogany neck with a 22 fret Rosewood fretboard
          Tune o matic bridge
          2 PAF style humbuckers
          Individual Volume and Tone controls
          Push/Pull pots for coil tap
          Push/pull pot for phase reversal when both pups used at same time
          Grover Machineheads
          Cross (maybe) fret markers
          and either a Purple or Blue sunburst finish

Anyone else have anything to say that may help me?

Craig

Comment

Hey man, Sorry to hear.. You could go for a custom design body that you draw out yourself, You could have the best of the two there also..
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

just a suggestion, why don't you put a trem on it?

It'd give you a halfway house between an LP and a strat as it would slightly thin the tone but you'd have a trem to play with.

I'm talking a vintage trem, in the vein of the singlecut trem something like that could be cool
              My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

stevo has a pretty good point. Why not go try out a PRS CU22, compare it with a Les Paul, and meld it into a body that combines the best of both worlds and omits any design imperfections you think the two mgith have.

Additionally, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My condolances as well. I think it's noble of you to build something you love in memory of a loved one. It'll be a keepsake that reminds you of your grandfather each time you play it.
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

What a great idea! You obviously loved your Grandfather very much- why not add a special reminder to your custom guitar- his initials on the 12th fret inlay? Something that reminds you of him, like a fish inlay if you both used to go fishing together. Let your heart be the guide on this one.
                  Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                  ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                  ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                  ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                  ESP KH-1
                  LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                  BC Rich KKV
                  Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                  Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Thanx for the great replies guys

It's not possible for me to try out a PRS or most other highend guitars without having to travel a fair distance, as most of the shops around where I live can't afford to stock Fenders, let alone Gibson and PRS!

Whenever I tried to think of my ultimate guitar, I always ended up coming back to a Les Paul. A LP was the 1st proper guitar I had when I was 14, so I've gotten used to how they play and sound.

But as I already own 2 LPs, I thought I'd go for something in a similar vein (Mahogany/Maple body, Mahogany neck, 2 humbuckers etc) but with a different body shape.

The PRS is a guitar shape I've always liked the look of, but a guitar I've never played, so thought I'd ask you guys on here

I don't think I'll go for a Trem (Thanx for the suggestion tho ) as I have 2 Strats and I don't use the trems on those, so don't see how this would be any different. It's just an idea but I'm contemplating having thru body stringing. Would this be possible?

Thanx for any help guys, much appreciated

Craig

Comment

lol i dont use trems either... I haven't touched my RG in ages

Through body stringing would be possible yeah, you'd have to ask one of the luthiers on the board what kinda difference it would make to the tone i couldnt tell you
                      My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

The downside of the Les Paul is it's body shape. The PRS fixes this by adopting many of the ergonomic features of the strat, particularly the offset cutaways. That allows the guitar to balance better when sitting down (my gripe with my SG is that the cutaways are symetrical, and the upper horn digs into my chest when sitting down). I don't remember if a PRS has these are not, but since you are getting a custom guitar made, I would also get it made with a tummy-cut.

Here's a Warmoth PRS-style body with a tummy-cut:

This machine kills fascists

Comment

I forgot to mention this: it would be pretty cool if your grandfather's name was on the headstock.
                          This machine kills fascists

Comment

I think 7th got it on right there.. I think a 12th fret with inlays of his initials would look more respectful and sentimetal, as id feel the fretboard is really where you let your emotions and feeling loose..And i think having it on the headstock might be a little tacky..
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3
                            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Whoa, those were some quick replies

From what I gather, thru body stringing would help to increase sustain. I may be wrong but thats what I'm led to believe.

MattPete, thanx for the pic of that Warmoth body. Thats more or less the shape that I can see myself going for with this guitar. The colour is great too

It's also a good idea about having my Grandads name or initials on the headstock, something I can talk over with the luthier.

If anyone has any other info or suggestions for me, then I'm happy to hear them

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X