Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help with pro's/con's or guitar body shapes

Thanx for your post Y2Stevo.

I do agree that something as an inlay would probably look better than something on the headstock, they're all options at the minute

Thanx all your ideas guys

Comment

No problem..
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

If I might make a suggestion;

If this is a keepsake that you'll never sell, wouldn't it be better to stick with what you're familiar with and know you like for this one (the Les Paul)?

I'd get a custom LP, because it's a safe bet you'll like it,

then experiment with a PRS (or PRS style) guitar later....that way, if you don't like it, your not stuck with it....

I'm just thinking that it'd suck to have a beautiful, custom built keepsake guitar that you end up not liking......
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
          If I might make a suggestion;

If this is a keepsake that you'll never sell, wouldn't it be better to stick with what you're familiar with and know you like for this one (the Les Paul)?

I'd get a custom LP, because it's a safe bet you'll like it,

then experiment with a PRS (or PRS style) guitar later....that way, if you don't like it, your not stuck with it....

I'm just thinking that it'd suck to have a beautiful, custom built keepsake guitar that you end up not liking......
          This is actually a really good point, I'd not thought of that!

It's definitely something I should think about, as like you say, if I don't like the PRS shape then I'm stuck with it!

Thanx for your reply

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
            I forgot to mention this: it would be pretty cool if your grandfather's name was on the headstock.
            +1
            this is a great idea.
            imo, you should build something that would resemble his personality tonaly a bit =)

and if you got two lp's go with something diferent and get a double cut. i dont think the tonality is THAT much diferent if you chose the same setup

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
              if you got two lp's go with something diferent and get a double cut. i dont think the tonality is THAT much diferent if you chose the same setup
              I know more or less what I want for the rest of the guitar, but I still can't decide on what body shape to go with.

screamingdaisy does raise a good point in that maybe I should go for the LP as I know I'll like the finished product. But I also already have 2 LPs so I fancy something a little different, but with hopefully a similar sound

Thanx for your reply.

Keep your opinions/suggestions coming

Craig

Comment

are you sure you couldnt find a place that stocks PRS's?

try a CU against a singlecut that'll help
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Dude, that sucks man. My regards and regrets to you and your family. I remember what it was like when my grandmother died, only got 1 grandparent left.....

Id go for the Les paul, Ideally a CS job with personalizations. For example your name on the Truss Rod cover, his on the 12th fret. Or like 7th suggested something to remind you of something you 2 loved. Or if he liked music, maybe something in that direction....

The idea being: No way for you to hate it when its done, which may happen with the PRS (Ive never found one I really liked, but I love a good lester). If nothing else, sell one of your other 2 LPs and grab a PRS used. But Id go the safer route for something meant to last a lifetime
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanx for the post Zerb

You make a number of good points, 1 of which agrees with screamingdaisy's earlier post of getting the LP as a 'sure thing'.

I was thinking earlier that if I did go for a CS Les Paul, then technically I could sell my Epi LP as I can't see myself playing it all that much over a Gibby LP or a CS LP.

It's another option I guess

I like what you said about my name on the truss rod cover (I'd not thought of that) and my Grandads initials at the 12th fret, it'd be a nice touch.

Now, think a C5/PG set or a A2P set would be best in this guitar?

Craig

Comment

I've had a think about it and I've decided to not risk a shape I'm not familiar with, so I've gone a for a LP shape.

I've emailled the luthier my spec and am just waiting to see what he says.

Also, I think I'd prefer a faded or Honey sunburst guitar over a blue or purple 1, so thats changed too

Craig

Comment

Well I've got the price quote back from the lutheir for my custom Les Paul:

1400!!!!!!

That's with him supplying the pups (Seths) but I was planning on providing a C5 bridge and a PG neck myself, so that may help to bring the price down a little, but I'm still not sure I can afford this now. I'll have to seriously sit down and think it through.

Comment

That is a good price. Maybe you might want to have a quote of his or a symbol you associate with him put somewhere. Did he have a nickname? My condolences.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf
                            That is a good price. Maybe you might want to have a quote of his or a symbol you associate with him put somewhere. Did he have a nickname? My condolences.
                            Thanx for your reply

I don't really have a saying or a symbol I can associate with him, but it's a good suggestion anyways

I've emailled another luthier and am just waiting for his quote to come through

Comment

My condolences on losing your grandfather. I've been there with my own grandparents and it's really tough. I'm sure that wherever your grandfather is he will really enjoy looking down on you and seeing you play that guitar.

I agree with nuntias. You should really try to play a PRS before deciding. I prefer PRS over LP's myself, and you might really love them.
                              Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
                              Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by El Dorado
                                My condolences on losing your grandfather. I've been there with my own grandparents and it's really tough. I'm sure that wherever your grandfather is he will really enjoy looking down on you and seeing you play that guitar.

I agree with nuntias. You should really try to play a PRS before deciding. I prefer PRS over LP's myself, and you might really love them.
                                Thanx for the post El Dorado.

I think for a guitar that I'll keep forever, that I'll go for a shape/style of guitar that I know I already love. Sooner than go for something on a whim and end up regretting it later. I'll probably try a PRS 1 day, when I can get to a big city to try 1 in a larger guitar shop than what I have where I live

Craig

Comment

Working...
                                X