banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your first good guitar - do you tend to stick to ones similar to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your first good guitar - do you tend to stick to ones similar to it?

Something Brow said about having an LP as his first good guitar, and being used to them made me think.

My first guitar was a strat, and my first really good one was a strat design with H/H.

I really find it hard to like guitars of other designs so all my guitars have been variations on a strat so far.

I was just wondering if it was the same for you lot - do you feel more at home with the first design you really liked?
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: Your first good guitar - do you tend to stick to ones similar to it?

My first good guitar was an LP. I sold it for a Kramer start-style guitar, and I've tended to stick to guitars like that ever since. The Kramer was soooo comfortable compared to the LP. Even my Warmoth VIP/PRS has more of a strat shape than an LP shape. My only violation of this rule would be my Gibson SG.
    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Yep, I bought a Strat because I was in love with Yngwie and his tone, and have stayed with bolt-on Strat shaped guitars my whole life.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

My first guitar was a strat bodied washburn, I sold it for an LP Studio years ago, and have since moved on to super-strat styled guitars, but they have to be neck-thru....I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

My first relatively nice guitar was an Aria TS400. Its shape was about halfway between an SG and a Strat with two humbuckers, series/parallel and phase switches. It came with a hardtail but I had a Kahler put on it in '84 (it was the 80's after all).

Since then I've tended towards double-cut guitars with trem & humbuckers, mostly PRS and Driskill these days. It takes me a moment to get comfortable with singlecut or non-trem guitars. I'm not too fond of the way I sound through single coils, either.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
          My Music

Comment

My first guitar was a good one, Fender Lead III. Gawd, I wish I hadn't sold that thing.
            ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

i had always dreamed of playing a les paul and have planned on buying one, but after frequent visits to guitar center, i couldn't find one that i liked, so i went with the deluxe 50th ann american strat-funny a high end fender is priced the same as the LP Studio-the cheaper Paul. First guitar was an Ibanez Gax70 bolt on, unfinished maple neck, so i guess the rule somewhat applies to me.
              2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Yep. My first guitar was a SSS Aria Pro II that I converted to HSS. Now I really can't get into either an SSS or HH guitar after I've had the versatility of an HSS.

So while I think I'll always be an HSS Strat kinda guy, I'd still be interested in getting a couple others including an SG and maybe a Flying-V. But I see no purpose in a Les Paul, PRS or similar.

Comment

My first guitar was strat style and I LOVED it. I always look at strats first whenever I'm in a shop, cuase I know how I like 'em. I've found that thinner, lighter guitars are really what I like.

It's the same with basses. My first bass was a P-bass knock off and now I have three p-basses. Whenever I go into a music shop, I ALWAYS have to try out the newest p-basses, and when I try other basses, I just can't warm up to them too easily.

I guess it applies to me.
                  You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

My 1st guitar was a Black Encore Strat shaped gtr witha single humbucker. It played dreadful and sounded worse. I got into 70s and 80's Rock music, and I liked the sound that bands like Kiss, Aerosmith and Guns n Roses were getting. So when I found out that the guitarists in those bands mainly used LPs, that was an obvious choice for me

I could never get Strats to work for me, until I joined a band whose guitarist played a Strat and I got into playing that. I own 2 Strats now, both with different size/shape necks, but a good ol' LP is where I feel at home

Comment

Maybe this is similar to the phenomenon where you usually enjoy the music you listened to in High School for the rest of your life ...

Comment

lol TO if you're theory is correct, old peoples homes will be filled with slipknot and rap in 60 years time
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                          lol TO if you're theory is correct, old peoples homes will be filled with slipknot and rap in 60 years time
                          LOL
                          It's true, because already people are hanging themselves from meat hooks for entertainment. By the time the Slipknot generation is that old, people will be committing suicide for recreation ...

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                            LOL
                            It's true, because already people are hanging themselves from meat hooks for entertainment. By the time the Slipknot generation is that old, people will be committing suicide for recreation ...
                            Well, that'll solve any problems with Social Security, won't it?
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                            My Music

Comment

I'm kinda asking for an alteriar motive..

well that tele-strato-gib thing i had designed im having second thoughts.

Dont get me wrong i really like the tele shape and design

but i love the strat design.. and im just thinking if i get the strat body shape i know i'll love the thing but im not 100 % on the tele now i've had a chance to think about it.

if i get the tele design it would have the strat control layout.. come to think of it if i got any shape guitar it woudl have a strat layout, i cant work anything else.

Looks like im gonna be a strat player for life eh. ah well.

Maybe i'll just get it like the_chris 's one...
                              My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Working...
                              X