banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your first good guitar - do you tend to stick to ones similar to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your first good guitar - do you tend to stick to ones similar to it?

Originally posted by DeadSkinSlayer3
    First real guitar was an Ibanez RG220, and I really like strat shaped double hum guitar's best.

GJ, that really got me thinking, but would such pickups (Seth, Antq, PG, 59's) Have enough balls in the low end for metal without an external EQ?
    It depends. Some vintage pickups seem a little underpowered or bright, especially for bridge humbuckers, but usually only the ones that are considered 'true to vintage'. The truth is...your amp and hands dictate most of the heaviness. The pickups just translate the string vibration into tone, so the actual tone of the pickup is what matters most. I've been pretty amazed at the thickness and sustain of the Seth neck. Even though it's unpotted, it doesn't squeal. I'm not sure if it's bright enough for clean rhythm playing, but it sure sounds great for soloing. Since Slash uses the neck pickup for sustained solos, I'm really surprised he hasn't discovered that the Seth sounds way better than the Alnico Pro II's he uses.

Not to sidetrack the thread with pickup talk, but the bottom line is that almost any guitar you buy and play for a month will start to grow on you.
    We only like what we're used to because that's how humans are.
    It's funny to hear guys bash certain brands of guitars, because I know that if they had one, they'd learn to like it after playing it for a few weeks.
    Sometimes, you surprise yourself, because you realize that a guitar you've never considered before becomes your new favorite.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadSkinSlayer3
      All HH, single cutaway (wolfie is...sortof) and 22 frets, right?
      Yeah good point.

But they all did have different feels.
      Esp moving from epi to wolfie.
      COmpletely diff. feel.

Comment

I've gone full circle, sorta. I started playing SGs and stuck with them until about 1994, when I made a DRASTIC switch to a Strat. Played that for another 5 years, then picked up the Bastardcaster Tele, which was the front line up until I bought Lizzie, my '76 LP Custom. The Tele & and LP feel similar to me, whereas the Strat & the SG feel sort of the same. Don't ask me why.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

First guitar I ever played was a Squier Affinity Strat. Can't exactly say it was a first "good" guitar

The first "good" guitar would be the one I still have now, modded to hell, more-dosh-spent-on-parts-than-guitar-itself RG470. Still a strat-like shape, but nowhere like a conventional strat of course.

I find that I tend to lean towards strat-shaped objects over LP shaped ones - personally, I prefer the improved access from the double cutaway (or even better, AANJ on Ibanez's or neck-thru Jacksons), and definitley prefer the longer scale. Never had much of a thing for LPs to be honest.

I reckon the first GOOD guitar you own does have an influence on the types of guitars that you tend to stick to. Although having only owned 2 axes, I've played everything in guitar stores from high-dollar USA Jacksons, J-Custom Ibanez's, overpriced Gibson LPs, Teles, Strats, Explorers, PRS's, Japanese ESPs, and I still find myself going back to the super-strat with floyd type of axe. Maybe that will change in a few years, who knows?
          Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
          Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
          Carl Martin Rock Drive
          ISP Decimator
          BOSS DD-3
          Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

did anyone else notice that out of the 34 posts, only like 4 or 5 didnt prefer the strat style?

Comment

Working...
            X