What to do with the Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with the Tele?

My Tele has been giving me fits latley. The single coils are noisy, the wiring is shoddy (my fault), the tuners aren't all that stable anymore. I couldn't get very much selling it as a whole, there's a lot of wear on the neck and paint damage to the body (Dents, scratches, scrapes, sandpapering). I almost want to build a custom Tele with rosewood neck (mine is maple), repaint the body, put new electroncis and hardware on it, etc. But that's a lot of work and money. (Money I don't really have right now)

What would yall do? Fix it up and keep it as is? Sell it? Throw it in a closet? Customize it? Ah!

Re: What to do with the Tele?

Sounds great! How about some stacked pickups to eliminate the noise.. or convert it to a telegib, with humbuckers?
    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

My vote goes to a Tele Gib. Seeing that flamed Tele that Wattage have inspired me. I just don't know if I want to spend the money? Yargh.

If I'm going through all the trouble of getting a new neck, new paint, and new parts, would I be better off getting a new body too? (Warmoth) ... or maybe just buying a better base Tele and changing things on that?

Comment

why not just replace some stuff?

theres a couple toronados going really cheap on ebay tho, but as far as a new tele, i'd say get a torres kit, and replace what you don't like. I'm sure you could have someone here build you a body for cheaper than warmoth, if you're not a basswood fan
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

make it a beat up Tele-Gib. It sounds like you're halfway there.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

if you cant afford to do what you really want with it right now, i'd say set it aside for a while and start a 'tele project' change jar ... toss your change in it every night when you empty your pockets and toss in any spare funds you'd otherwise waste on something fleeting .. in a few months, you might have enough to take the first step .. use the time to think about and research what you really would like best from it (e.g. tele-gib vs. noiseless singlecoil sized, etc)

good luck
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

i would first replace the tuners if there is a problem with them. then i would rewire the whole guitar, that might get rid of some of the noise. When you have the money put some stacks or humbuckers in the guitar if you haven't gotten rid of all the noise yet. take it one step at a time
              Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Tom M
                My Tele has been giving me fits latley. The single coils are noisy, the wiring is shoddy (my fault), the tuners aren't all that stable anymore. I couldn't get very much selling it as a whole, there's a lot of wear on the neck and paint damage to the body (Dents, scratches, scrapes, sandpapering). I almost want to build a custom Tele with rosewood neck (mine is maple), repaint the body, put new electroncis and hardware on it, etc. But that's a lot of work and money. (Money I don't really have right now)

What would yall do? Fix it up and keep it as is? Sell it? Throw it in a closet? Customize it? Ah!
                Please send it to me. Our landfill has no restrictions and I can get rid of it for you

Comment

Originally posted by Pepi
                  Please send it to me. Our landfill has no restrictions and I can get rid of it for you
                  OK, first you can send me cash for $4000. Then I will Western Union you the remainder of the money back with the guitar.

Comment

Tele-Gib that thang! Or do it half-assed with a JB jr. in the bridge!

Comment

spend time modding it. Change the pups. It has the potential to be a good guitar, and it sounds as it it is truly hardcore looking with its battle scars Since it wont sell for much mite aswell make good use of it.

Comment

yea i'm with everone else make a telegib through in a jb and jazz(jeff beck style) with a 250k volume pot
                        Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                        The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Working...
                        X