I need a volume pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a volume pedal

Hey guys, i need a good volume pedal, one that keep the tone of the guitar, but just changes the volume... i dont want the low volume sounds to sound clean if everything else is distorted... is this possible?

Re: I need a volume pedal

Originally posted by HolyDirt
    Hey guys, i need a good volume pedal, one that keep the tone of the guitar, but just changes the volume... i dont want the low volume sounds to sound clean if everything else is distorted... is this possible?
    If you run it AFTER your distortion it will do just that, go for a lower imedance pedal to, like the BOSS FV-50L or FV-300L (It's the big one, although that number might not be correct, I use the smaller ones), there are of course other brands. Run it thru your effects loop ot between your preamp output and power amp input.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Yeah Kent hit the nail on the head.

For it to do what you want it to you'll have to run it in the effects loop
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

i use the ernie ball .. i had sticker shock (over $100US !!), but it's bullet proof and works flawlessly ... i use it to control the volume after my preamp and before the power amp ... no tonal change at all

good luck
        t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

The Ernie Ball 25kohm volume is another suggestion for use in the loop.

The Ernie Ball Jr is about 2/3 the cost of the full size, but it's still made like a tank (and takes up less realestate on your pedal board).
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Visual Volume. Metal case, LED indicators of level.

The only negative (?) is that it is AC only--no battery power capabilities.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Check out Morley!
              100% Bass player

Comment

The dunlop High Gains Good too..
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3
                ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Im not after a volume pedal, but the one that strikes me as a good one is the Morley Little Alligator. The EB one seems good aswell.

Comment

One pedal that's really cool is the Dunlop Mr. Crybaby Super. It's a wah pedal that doubles as a volume pedal, in the off position. Two in one is always good.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ernie Ball. Right infront of my amp, however. Don't know why you'd need in through the Loop...

Comment

so putting a passive volume pedal after a distortion pedal or in the effects loop will get what i want? seems like it's be harder than that... oh well!

Comment

so putting a passive volume pedal after a distortion pedal or in the effects loop will get what i want? seems like it's be harder than that... oh well!
                          In front of the amp the only thing you are doing is the same as turning down you guitar's volme knob, but with a pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
                            In front of the amp the only thing you are doing is the same as turning down you guitar's volme knob, but with a pedal.
                            Thanks kent, the first time i used a volume pedal, i built it, just a passive volume rocker pedal, i thought it would act as just a volume knob like on the guitar (like you said) and when i tried it, it did just that. But i just built another one out of a wah pedal shell, put it in the effects loop.. it worked beautifully! thanks guys

Comment

Thanks kent, the first time i used a volume pedal, i built it, just a passive volume rocker pedal, i thought it would act as just a volume knob like on the guitar (like you said) and when i tried it, it did just that. But i just built another one out of a wah pedal shell, put it in the effects loop.. it worked beautifully! thanks guys
                              One more theing that no one talks about, say your guitar has a 500k volume pot, you you run thru a volume pedal that has a 500k volume pot (for example) ... you just hooked two 500k pots in parallel ... that's a 250k load.
                              If you just wanted to regulated you *guitar's volume* with a volume pedal, the smart thing would be to use a sizeable gauge of wire, and bypass the guitar's volume control via a switching jack.
                              Putting a volume pedal thru the amp's loop, the pedal should be a lower impedance than what you would normally use for straight into the guitar.
                              The BOSS FV-50L works well, and the 300 series is supposed to be *sworn by* as to not interfere at all with your tone in the slightest. See if you can find a schematic of the FV-300L.

Another note also, most volume pedals because of the way they are wired can be used as passive expression pedals, on any two wire circuit. Simply connect the expression pedal line to the *output jack*, althouh the value of the pot may be different than the one that the circuit wants to see, so it's most often will still work, even though you might sacrifice a bit of range though.

Comment

Working...
                              X