Marshall Amp Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Amp Question

I know it's been discussed before, but I just can't remember what the cause was.

I've got a fair amount of noise when I turn on my 4212. Not quite as bad on the clean channel, but worse on the overdrive. Just a hum verging on a hiss...not feedback. Volume on the guitar makes no difference. I've tried different tubes in different positions...no real difference.

Is it bad caps, resistors, tube sockets? Cheap fix....expensive fix...any fix?
    My Sound Clips

Could be anything, dude. You should take it to a tech before you play it again. I had a noise problem with my JCM 800, and it turned out that one of the power caps was leaking ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Jeff,

My guess would be the filter caps. In an amp that age they can get noisy - or so I've heard. You replaced all the tubes when you bought it (if I remember correctly) so it's unlikely to be those.

Or possibly some kind of local interference - if the hum is constant wherever the amp is located, then more likely the caps.

Simon

Comment

Yeah...it's time for a run thru from a tech. I really want to get it modded while it's in, but I'm not sure I'm ready to drop $400 on that.

I am preparing to move closer to my daughters school so she can ride the bus to and from school, and will need to get much better tone at MUCH lower volumes as I'll probably end up in a townhome instead of a house. I guess it's either $200 for a decent attenuater or $400 for new caps, a run through and a mod. Hmmmm.......
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
        X