banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IS the GT-6L6-GE tube 6L6GC class? What's a good set of 6L6GC tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS the GT-6L6-GE tube 6L6GC class? What's a good set of 6L6GC tubes?

OK, im ripping the kt66's out of the peavey and im just going to stick with what the amp manual says-buy only 6L6 GC tubes. It's set at a good bias range for those tubes and i dont want to spend 80 bucks on the installation of a a tone pot and biasing when i can get a good set of 6L6 tubes and be set. What's a good pair of 6L6 GC tubes-what do you guys recommend? No NOS-im not a heart surgeon and i can't afford them.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: IS the GT-6L6-GE tube 6L6GC class? What's a good set of 6L6GC tubes?

Just buy some Svetlana =C= logo 6L6's and 3 GT 12AX7C's for your amp, and you're done. You could try others, but this is the tube compliment that will put a smile on your face as soon as you plug in. JJ's aren't bad either, but this is better.
    Don't worry about biasing that amp, most current tubes operate the same as GC's.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Why in the world would you buy 6L6 GE's (which cost as much as having a bias pot installed) if money was an issue? Go with GJ's suggestion if you're giving up on KT66's.

Comment

i figured nos was more expensive...lol i guess i have more cash than i thought
        And i have no tube preamp stage, its solid state on the Classic VTX 100 series amps from 1975 like mine so my tone relies on the power tubes and my strat. But i must insist that it is a true 6L6GC tube when it comes to biasing, as i can't bias my amp. I'm looking for a very warm pristine tube for cleans.
        Last edited by Quencho092; 08-13-2004, 06:19 PM.
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I will 2nd the vote for the Svetlana 6L6s. Those are quality tubes and the price is decent.
          Audio tubes for any amplifier: from high end home audio to classic guitar amps. If you aren't sure about which valve you need, or what tubes you can substitute, let us help you. More electron tubes can be found in the tube store collection of New Old Stock (NOS) If you are looking for a tube shop carrying the very best tubes for your amplifier, you've come to the right place.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I haven't tried the Svetlana's, but the ElectroHarmonix 6L6 compares favorably to the RCA Blackplates I had in my Bassman. They only go for about $35 a pair.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

a bit off the topic, but dont you feel that when you buy from some online dealers that the tubes you purchased were used? I've had my fair share of microphonic tubes from electron-valve.com and even the groove tubes website, and it annoys the heck out of me!
              How much do the svetlanas go for and whats a good reputable dealer i can get them from?
              I have 375 bucks left from my 720 dollar paycheck, minus the tubes thats about 330 left, ya think a good set of alnico speakers would help out my peavey's tone? I have in there a super old set of speakers that are all crusty from the years, they're probably stock from 1975 as i can still read the peavey sticker on the backs of the magnets. I figure they're low wattage as they tend to distort a bunch when i really crank the 2x12.

Comment

For 6L6s, I've tried the Sovtek 6L6 and the JJ 6L6. The Sovtek had a nice bright tone without being harsh but when driven hard, it got muddy.

The JJs was alot better. The sound is a bit dark but very tight and crisp. Definitly a winner.

For tubes, order from Doug at www.dougstubes.com

Duke
                www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I just checked revolutionguitar.com and realized that both JJ's and Svetlanas ARE GC's.
                  Either of those brands will 'wake up' your amp. JJ's are $34 shipped to your door in two days. The Svets are a few bucks more, but not much.

Comment

e-mail todd at revolutionguitars and get the svetlana's or the JJ's and they will rock i'm using svetlana's and i love those 6L6's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                    Suhr OD-50
                    Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

which would have a smoother clean tone-JJ or svetlana?

Comment

Svetlanas have a more round warm and sweet breakup type vibe. The JJ's are similar, but are less compressed and have a highheadroom glassy type vibe.
                        You may not notice much difference between them, but to split hairs, that's the answer.

Comment

cool, and the price is a giveaway compared to the kt66hp's i returned. Thanks everyone, you just saved me a good 30 bucks and helped me improve my tone!

Comment

Or you could find a nice set of NOS RCA's!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

where to buy them svetlanas!??

Comment

Working...
                              X