Roadtrip To Splawn Guitars Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadtrip To Splawn Guitars Today

For those of you who aren't familier with Splawn Guitars, Scott Splawn is in the upper eschelon of amp modders in the US. If I had not gone with Jeff Seal, I believe that my amp would have gone to Scott Splawn. I took in my Alvarez to have all the pots and wiring re-done, and to have a proper setup on my Floyd. It's due, and I just don't have the time or energy to do it myself right now, besides, I wanted an excuse to drive to his shop.

Scott's shop is about 30-40 minutes from my house, and well worth the drive. It's a small, modest shop, but that's where the modesty ends. As with many small retailers, he doesn't have a ton of guitars due to overhead, but he sure had some nice one's. Mainly Jackson's and Charvel's for the new stuff. A small mix of used stuff and some acoustics.

Held and played briefly a couple of nice Strat neck Charvel's, one was a sweet cherry burst with a birdseye maple neck, and a single Seymour Duncan HB at the bridge. Also played one with the same config, but with a red and white bullseye patern. Very well made guitars...not my style, but very nice. If I was still in my Jackson shredder mode, there were 5-6 very nice one's with different graphics.

The real treat is the amps. I didn't get to play one this time, as there were a couple of guys already jamming in the small isolation room, and the guy that was playing while I was there had some serious chops. He was playing a Charvel strat with a Rio Grand BBQ at the bridge, thru one of Scott's custom heads. Man, the tone was wicked, fat, beefy, articulate....just absolute meaness eminating from the amp. The cab was a custom built Splawn with 4 Eminence Redcoats...and they had wicked tight lows, smooth highs and screaming mids. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to hear the new line of Eminence speakers, and they sure live up to their billing.

Scott does a similar sounding mod as the one Jeff Seal does to Marshall's, from what I can tell initially, it involves removing the existing wiring and PC board, and building the circuit by hand. I'm sure there are tonal differences, I plan to talk to Scott more about it when I go back. The one I heard today seemed to be voiced much more aggressively from what I received from Jeff Seal. I prefer the more vintage Marshall sound for most of my taste in music, but the tone I heard today is an interesting twist. It wasn't the tone I prefer to have all the time, but it was wicked.

Scott is also now building Custom heads, and he is doing all the tooling himself, from the chassies up. Using top of the line components and transformers. The heads that I saw have that Plexi look to them. He also builds 2x12 with the 4x12's, and the construction looks top notch. I've been considering the Avitar cabs, but I may look into the Splawn 2x12. They are rock solid and man are they pretty. Looks like you can have tons of tolex color options, including purple, black green....ect.

Anyhow, Scott is a really down to earth guy, and took the time to sit down on a stool and talk to me for a few minutes. I had my daughter with me, and she was getting somewhat bored, so I didn't hang too long. When I go back I plan to spend some more time. Check out his website, and listen to some of the soundclips of his amps....really neat stuff.

My Sound Clips

Re: Roadtrip To Splawn Guitars Today

Sounds like a fine way to spend a day!!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Scott Splawn is a top notch guy...and I base that statement solely on the fact that he answers his e-mails!

Comment

Yup, Trace@Voodoo, Scott Splawn and Jeff Seal were the only guys out of more than a half dozen that responded to e-mails about me sending them money for mods. All of these guys are top notch, and seemed to genuinely care about getting you the tone that's in your head.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

In LA, the places to go are The Amp Shop on Ventura in Studio City (San Fernando Valley), Westwood Music in WLA down the street from UCLA, and West LA Music ( you always see their ads in Guitar Player with all the stars). The Amp Shop and Westwood have every great boutique amp and pedal. So much fun to check those stores out!

I'm a certified Electronic Technician, but have never worked in the industry, and honestly am not qualified to work on amps, but I've been thinking lately of studying tube amp circuitry and eventually being qualified to work on amps. I need to find a place to learn. Most electronics programs deal strictly with modern technology, so it's more difficult to learn the art of tube circuitry. I really want to do it, though. Maybe I'll buy some tube electronics books and start learning.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I ordered a 4x12 cab from Scott last week. He was a very nice guy and seemed very dedicated to customer service. I'll let you guys know how the cab is when it arrives. If the cab is as good as everyone says, I might just have to buy one of his Pro Mod heads too...
            "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

What speaker config did you get? If it's the Readcoats like the one's I heard today you're going to be in heaven. The quality on those cabs is outstanding.
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                ....I took in my Alvarez to have all the pots and wiring re-done, and to have a proper setup on my Floyd. It's due, and I just don't have the time or energy to do it myself right now, besides, I wanted an excuse to drive to his shop....

www.splawnguitars.com
                Scott and I are glad you had the chance to stop by Jeff. Things are always a little 'loud' around the shop on Saturdays but that's the way we like it. I'll make sure to schedule some time for you in the amp room on your return visit when I finish up your Alvarez. Please feel free to call or come by before then if you have the opportunity.

Bil

<----

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop by here Bil. The shop was really neat and it was fun meeting you guys. I just wanted to share with the guys here how cool the shop and amps were! See you soon.
                  Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-16-2004, 02:19 AM.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

I'm going to have to make the trip to Dallas, NC and check them out. Sounds like just the folks to do the mods to my Classic 50.

Comment

Working...
                    X