No announcement yet.

Fender Pro Reverb is done... for now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender Pro Reverb is done... for now...

it's probably just cause they're not carbon
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
      Lew and others, look at picture 45. The two small resistors at the top, are those 1/4 watt? I just realized that they are a bit smaller than the 1/2 watt ones used everywhere else. They are what weber gave me. hmm.....
      Can't tell from here so to speak, but I agree with Curly, carbon films or metal films are a bit smaller than carbon composition resistors. I noticed pictrue 50, you got the LED/LDR for the tremolo, if you were a real tremolo hound (which I think you said that you don't even use it), then I'd suggest asking Weber about changing the Tremolo over to the Harmonic Tremolo that Fender first had before the LED/LDR, it creates very subtle changes in the harmonics as well as the volume ... very liquidy. It's a bit diffrent circut than the LED/LDR set up, AND takes up less circuitry to boot. Just an Idea.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Just to reinforce what Curly and Kent have already said, you can always spot a metal-film resistor by the ends being slightly larger diameter than the body, like the ones in your pic. Those are the little "end-caps" that they connect the leads to. Carbon composition resistors won't have those.

Comment

I must have used the wrong resistors. I'm going to go back in and put in the carbon comp versions. I had weber send me all the resistors as well, but I decided to not change them out unless they were crumbling. I'll have to go back and find the others.

The amp sure sounds good, especially when you just hit a power chord or even with a good strong E string. Communication Breakdown sure sounds good on this amp. Those Emi Texas Heats have a nice strong low end to them. No farting out at all.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Just to reinforce what Curly and Kent have already said, you can always spot a metal-film resistor by the ends being slightly larger diameter than the body, like the ones in your pic. Those are the little "end-caps" that they connect the leads to. Carbon composition resistors won't have those.

incorrect. you can have metal or carbon film with the large endbells. and some metal films dont have the large endbells. dale CMF and CCF series come to mind. as do the CPF series, and RW series. corning glass works made some glass encased resistors, too, that dont have any endbells.

the best way to tell carbon and metal fim resistors apart is this: carbon films are usually a light brown color, or deep red for the body. metal films are blue, but they can run the gamut of colors.

then we can add tantalum film resistors, bulk foil, thick films and cernet film.

dale CMF/RN series

germ
            Jeremy Ledford
            Tone Guru Extroardinaire
            Tone Shop

Comment

scott, did you get those caps from weber? if so, theres a guy on ebay, capacitor12 who has some. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...833011212&rd=1 reputable guy, too. if you wanted to save some money.

by the way.looks like you had some fun with the build. if you need any 1w 100k carbon comps let me know. it can help to quiet an old amp down by replacing them, with new of the same composition. good luck!!

germ
              Jeremy Ledford
              Tone Guru Extroardinaire
              Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
                incorrect. you can have metal or carbon film with the large endbells. and some metal films dont have the large endbells. dale CMF and CCF series come to mind. as do the CPF series, and RW series. corning glass works made some glass encased resistors, too, that dont have any endbells.

the best way to tell carbon and metal fim resistors apart is this: carbon films are usually a light brown color, or deep red for the body. metal films are blue, but they can run the gamut of colors.

then we can add tantalum film resistors, bulk foil, thick films and cernet film.

germ
                Yeah, what most people are used to seeing is the classic carbon comp that is pure cyclindrical like the brown body ones in Scott's rig, Most carbon-film and metal films are the hour glass ends ... As far as metal film being blue laquer, well Panasonic has a series like that, but you are right, almost any resistor can be of any composition/material. Never know for sure unless you know the brand and series.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                X