Anyone heard of brass Hradtail bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of brass Hradtail bridge

I just came accross this on Ebay. What can you tell me about it?
    What else would you recomend?

His Grace is Amazing

Re: Anyone heard of brass Hradtail bridge

Lou,

I've read a bunch of posts over at the Fender Forum where folks are saying that brass is a tone sucking metal, really makes things dull and lifeless. I think some of that would have to be taken with a grain of salt, because if you had a super bright strat that might be just the ticket.

My favorite strat bridges are built by Callaham. IMO he is making the finest product on the market. He has a new hardtail bridge that I believe is around $50. That's what I would recommend. Here's a link.

The recognized industrial leader in vintage aftermarket guitar parts. Made in Virginia from the highest quality materials since 1990.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
      Lou,

I've read a bunch of posts over at the Fender Forum where folks are saying that brass is a tone sucking metal, really makes things dull and lifeless. I think some of that would have to be taken with a grain of salt, because if you had a super bright strat that might be just the ticket.

My favorite strat bridges are built by Callaham. IMO he is making the finest product on the market. He has a new hardtail bridge that I believe is around $50. That's what I would recommend. Here's a link.

www.callahamguitars.com
      Thanks. It makes sense I would think Brass would be softer
      than steel or whatever.

I just checked out the Callaham site thanks.
      I am tempted to go with gold but I heard it oxidizes easily.
      His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Hipshot makes the best hardtail brass bridge. It's machined from a solid brass billet with steel saddles.

Comment

www.callahamguitars.com
          It interesting that so many of his parts are cryogenically treated, including 5-way switches and "vintage" cloth wire. I wonder what the benefit of that is supposed to be.

Comment

There's a blurp somewhere on his page that says why he does that. Less resistance, more energy transfer, something like that. I don't know enough about that stuff to really say, but I do know that he builds some of the best stuff on the market. Once you try his 64' trem arm, you'll never use another strat style arm.

I'm going to use his entire bridge assembly kit on my new strat.
            Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-15-2004, 06:21 PM.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Cool . . . I'll go back and look. (Heh - no pun intended.)

Comment

You know, this guy sounds like someone who is completely reputable and honest . . .

. . . and yet, I have a hard time swallowing this:

We do hear a significant improvement when treatment is done to pickups, switches, jacks, wire, and electronic components. The consenses is that the signal is stronger which helps with low output pickups. There is a definite increase in speed of the response time. We can measure an 18 percent increase in output with an overall warming, smoother sound from a wiring harness. All our guitars are now supplied with cryo-treat pickups, wire, jacks, and switches because of these findings.
                I'm not saying its not true, just that I have a hard time believing that freezing a wire will make it "sound" better.

Edit: As someone who works in a Navy cal lab, and who uses liquid nitrogen daily, I can see another "test" is on the horizon.

Comment

Yeah...he comes about as highly recommended for strat parts as anyone, but I don't know how much I buy into the cryo treatment. I know they make those cryo treated guitar strings, but I can't remember ever trying them.

I don't understand enough about that stuff to know if freezing that stuff once makes a difference for it's lifetime. Go freeze some crap for us and let us know how it turns out!
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Yeah...he comes about as highly recommended for strat parts as anyone, but I don't know how much I buy into the cryo treatment. I know they make those cryo treated guitar strings, but I can't remember ever trying them.

I don't understand enough about that stuff to know if freezing that stuff once makes a difference for it's lifetime. Go freeze some crap for us and let us know how it turns out!
                    Yeah, I'm trying to decide how, and what, to test. I suppose I could just measure the resistance of a length of wire, before and after soaking in LN2.

Trouble is, I don't know how they treat theirs. Like how long do they freeze the item?

Comment

On the subject of Callaham, I ordered a steel trem block for my Gotoh 1088 vintage trem. I love it! It definitely makes my strat sound more alive. More jangle, more sustain... it really does make a difference! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the guitar they have and wish to hotrod it to sound to it's fullest potential.
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Interesting assertion. I dunno if I buy it--after all, they make bells out of brass. You might not appreciate the effect but it definitely resonates...probably better than most iron-based alloys.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                        My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
                          Interesting assertion. I dunno if I buy it--after all, they make bells out of brass. You might not appreciate the effect but it definitely resonates...probably better than most iron-based alloys.
                          How dare you question the FDP!

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                            How dare you question the FDP!
                            Yeah. They're prolly gonna declare me unworthy of my Affinity Strat.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                            My Music

Comment

Working...
                            X