Met THD's Andy Marshall on friday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Met THD's Andy Marshall on friday...

I went to the trade day of our local music expo on friday. Underwhelming isn't the word to describe how poor the expo was (imagine no fender, gibson, mesa, marshall, yamaha, prs...), but there was one highlight.

South Pacific Music, who bring in Vox, SD, dimarzio, G&L and THD had a stall. They not only had the first flexi 50 in the country on display, but also bought out it's creator, Andy Marshall.

I had the chance to put the flexi through it's paces, and it sounded very impressive. It was set up with EL34s, and as such definitely had an older Marshall vibe, only with more gain when cranked. Clean headroom was good, and it broke up very nicely. I particularly liked the ac-30-style 'cut' switch, which provided a subtle attenuation of the high end, and the ability to cut the master volume out entirely.

Andy Marshall was a top bloke, too. He went through every feature of the amp in detail with me, discussed his preferred options for tubes, outboard reverb and speakers, and was generally pleasant. He also took time to complement me on my playing, which was nice of him.

Considering his time was in relatively high demand, I got more than my share and have definitley come away with enhanced respect of both the product and the man.

The only other news I have to report is on the local pedal front:

Crowther has built a 'double hotcake' pedal, some guys out in the countryside have built a trem/phase with multiple switchable combinations (quite good), and G2D are bringing out a single function pedal that will sound like a cross between the cream-tone and the custom.
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Met THD's Andy Marshall on friday...

I think Andy Marshall is a pretty creative amp designer.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Andy Marshall=King of PCB...nuff said.

Comment

Yeah, that's an honor to get to speak with guys like him. Those guys know so much about tube circuitry, and usually a lot about tubes. He's my favorite kind of amp designer because he doesn't just keep reinventing the wheel, he manipulates the classic designs with new ideas, which results in more useable amps.
        I've tried many THD amps, and that Flexi on a THD 4-12 is something that you'd get addicted to, quick. Now that you have a Distributor in your area, you should try to see if THD can hook you up cheap through them.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah, I get discount on SD pickups through the distributor. I'm going to give a flexi another thorough going-over, including comparison to other amps, and then I'll go straight to the (local) source. Especially considering local price looks to be 4-500 USD higher than US retail.
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Sounds good.

Looking forward to checking out those new pedals too.

Comment

Besides the tone, THD amps have such a great look. Another example of how he refuses to just make clones of classics.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                I went to the trade day of our local music expo on friday. Underwhelming isn't the word to describe how poor the expo was (imagine no fender, gibson, mesa, marshall, yamaha, prs...)
                Absolutely. For a trade show to be that lacking was akin to going to see Metallica and having Limp Bizkit replace them as the headline act

The one thing I noticed that i liked was the vocal harmonizer that blues guy was singing through. Did you see that? I couldn't believe it wasn't a click track at first! Got the brochure at home and looks awesome. $2000 is pretty good as well.
                'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

I was planning to go but didn't make it. I'm glad I didn't miss an amazing show or anything.

Comment

The UniValve I had was a pretty sweet little amp. When I first bought it, I e-mailed THD a few times with little annoying/stupid questions. Ed Degenaro answerred most, but Andy Marshall himself answerred a few times.

That tells me that the guy is proud of his product. They even offered to give it a check-up free of charge (if I paid to/from s&h), but I declined as it was pretty pristine. That says a lot to me, seeing I bought it used.

I would definitely buy another THD product....you can't go wrong!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                      Andy Marshall=King of PCB...nuff said.

dont forget randall smith and peavey.

germ
                      Jeremy Ledford
                      Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                      Tone Shop

Comment

again, I have to agree with Joneser!

there are so many amps that are really based on Fender and Marshall, no matter how they're dressed

when I saw the UniValve, I realized that Andy Marshall designed this thing from the ground up to be different - lots of folks do mods to allow a Marshall amp to use El-34s instead of 6L6s, for instance, but I can't think of any other amp that was designed from the beginning to be used with almost any common power tube - simply brilliant, and more importantly for some, very practical for studio use.
                        "music heals"
                        facebook

Comment

THD answered 5 or 6 e-mails from me today very quickly.

I just ordered a NOS 6k6 tube today on their recommendation to lower the output power.

I haven't really had the Univalve amp long to tell if I'm really going to love it. But if I don't I can always use it to slave another amp.
                          GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                          KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Working...
                          X