Marshall AVT question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall AVT question

Could someone please explain the Marshall AVT line of amps to me?
    I dont understand- are they solidstate or solidstate+ tubes?

I'm not looking to purchase an amp right now but in a few months maybe and I liked the avt i was plugged into the last time i went to GC so I might consider buying one.

thanks

Re: Marshall AVT question

Basically what they are trying to do is add some "tube warmth and tone" to a solid state amp by integrating a single 12AX7 into the pre-amp. It's a hybrid amp, and as far as those type amps go it's ok. I think if you are going to spend that kind of money on a solid state amp, you can find better options...some of the Line 6 modeling amps, Vox modeling amps...ect.

There have been several tube/solid state experiments over the years, some done better than others. Don't buy into the hype that it sounds just as good as tube, because it really doesn't. Does that mean it's bad...no. For the price of a new ATV, you can pick up a really decent used tube amp.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

What he said ^ . I had one. I have a 'real' Marshall now for just a bit more than what the AVT cost. The AVTs sound boxy and fuzzy. I'd steer clear, and go with a full tube amp.

Comment

I've A/B'd an AVT150 and a 100 watt MG, and in all honesty, I liked the built in distortion on the MG better. If you're planning on buying an AVT of any high wattage, you might as well just forget it and check out a DSL for the same price.

Comment

Wixom, my buddy... take heed to the following statement:

STAY FAR AWAY FROM AVT!

I have an AVT50Head and AVT412 cab. I am DROWNED OUT by the rest of my band. The AVT150 Head is even worse, IMO. It had more volume but it feels more scooped. I HATE my AVT. It was good when I bought it about a year and a half ago. That was before I understood tone.

My advice is for the same price get a GREAT sounding clean amp (Peavey Classic, Fender Blues, whatever you like) and get a DS-1 Modded by Stratdeluxer97 (John). It's gotten to the point now where I dont use my Marshall distortion live! I dont even HOOK UP the channel switching footpedal! I simply cannot say enough great things about John's DS-1. It sounds amazing as soon as you plug it in and it even grows on you!

If you want to Private Message me, go right ahead! I'll be sure to respond as quickly as possible and do everything in my power to steer you away from AVT!
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! i appreciate it.

I'll stay away from the avt!

Comment

In the spirit of beating a dead horse I tried the AVT50 Combo today, just to mess around and see if it was an upgrade from my Marshall 250DFX (a "cheaper" solidstate amp without a tube) and I was not impressed.
              It sounded tiny and weak, even at low volumes, which is apparently where SS amps are supposed to shine...I thought the tube was going to make it sound better, but I was wrong...
              Last edited by Closed Eye; 08-15-2004, 11:03 PM.

Comment

actually jeff, vox's have 12ax7's in them too

don't get an avt, or marshall in general, everything under 2 grand by them has car stereo parts in it, and is unreasonably quiet

get a combo tube & a pedal board if you want
                Originally posted by gibson175
                metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                  actually jeff, vox's have 12ax7's in them too

Didn't know that....thanks for the update. I learn something new here all the time.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                  X