Peavey Tubehead Question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Tubehead Question......

I have a (I am guessing about 1970's to 80's) Peavey Mace VT Series 160 watt tube head w/phase and spring reverb!!! Shhhhwwweeeeeet ...Only problem is I am not sure if I am better off just selling it and getting something like say a large combo amp instead of searching for a halfway decent and cheap cab speaker. Also it takes 6 6L6GC tubes and that starts to get pretty pricey and I am certainly on a budget. I was looking at the 6L6's that Stewmac sells but have no clue of their quality or sound. Anyone know about them??? They are a scorching deal of about $23.00 for 6 or more. Are there any good deals on namebrand tubes???? Any help or adavice is very welcome!

Thanks Alot!

Re: Peavey Tubehead Question......

I own the same amp except mine is a 412 combo version, and am in the process of selling it (BTW if anyone is interested, PM me). I suggest selling the amp if possible and getting a nice lower powered tube combo amp such as a Peavey Classic 50, Basssman, Fender Hot Rod, Marshall JCM 600, or one of the many many others. While the Mace is nice, It is way too powerfull for any situation but stadium gigs. If you decide to keep the amp, up keep will be very expensive. The sound quality of those Stew Mac tubes is probably lower than most, but if you are on a budget, they are an option. If you are not willing to keep you amp sounding its best though, I suggest selling it and buying a smaller amp with less expensive upkeep.
    Later,
    Brian
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Thnks alot Bvc I think you are probably right....only problem is selling it......(Sigh)

Comment

Originally posted by Creedis777
        Thnks alot Bvc I think you are probably right....only problem is selling it......(Sigh)
        exactly. The amp does sound good with my modded DS-1 in front of it, and the cleans are great. I kind of keep it around as a clean amp since I amp having trouble finding a buyer.
        Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

ill give ya 10 bucks.

germ
          Jeremy Ledford
          Tone Guru Extroardinaire
          Tone Shop

Comment

That's a very cool amp. Lynyrd Skynyrd used them,And I think Gary Rossington still use's a Mace. Don't buy tubes from StewMac, There's
            much better source's. Try these's guy's www.dougstubes.com
            The Best Vacuum Tubes: Power tubes and preamp tubes matched for any guitar amp or stereo tube amplifier. Not sure which tube you need? Let us help you.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by lastwinj
              ill give ya 10 bucks.

germ
              Hey Germ, You can have my VTX for 10 Bucks

BTW , That mace has some value !! Lots of Skynyrd fans would
              kill for that Amp !! Ebay it.
              Last edited by kmcguitars; 08-16-2004, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars

interesting. hm....

germ
                Jeremy Ledford
                Tone Guru Extroardinaire
                Tone Shop

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars

Thats where mine is going once I get back from nashville. It really has that skynyrd vibe. Ive seen some going for my asking price over the past few months so hopefully it gets sold and I get my G&L.

Comment

Cool guys thnks for the advice.......maybe I'lll keep it if Skynard used it......I read it is possible to cut down the wattage to 120 on that amp by removing 2 tubes but I also read this is unhealthy to the circuits.....ne one know ne thing about this. Thnks for the tube sites Kmc!

Comment

Originally posted by Creedis777
                      I read it is possible to cut down the wattage to 120 on that amp by removing 2 tubes but I also read this is unhealthy to the circuits.....ne one know ne thing about this. Thnks for the tube sites Kmc!
                      It's unhealthy for the transformer to remove tubes. But it may be
                      possibe for a tech to cut two tubes outta the curicut?? Maybe Jeff S.
                      or Kent might chime in with some more details.

Comment

Actually I am lucky to have a Father adept in electronics so I will talk to him and see if he thinks he can cut out two tubes. We might even be able to set up where you can switch between 4 and 6. That would be cool. Though I think a plain 4 would be more useful.

Comment

Hey I am looking at the KT66 as a possibility on dougs website Kmc only thing is even on Tube Store they only seem to come in 2 matched pairs......could that be a problem??? Or should I go with the JJ 6L6GC becuase of its good ratings and ability to get it in quads for a good price from Doug????
                          Last edited by Creedis777; 08-16-2004, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X