Marshall combo conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall combo conversion?

I have a bluesbreaker, and would prefer a 4x12 instead of the 2x12. I'd thought about getting an extention cab, but didn't really like that idea. Then I thought about just selling it and getting a JTM45. THEN, I had this idea...would it be possible to take the amplifier out of the Bluesbreaker and mount it in a head cab and basically make it a JTM45? There are a few problems with this... a) I don't know much about electronics, so I wouldn't be able to do any amp modifications myself, and more importantly, b) my amp sorta...stopped working about two weeks ago (which actually has nothing to do with my desire to get rid of it...I've felt this way for a while...I like the bluesbreaker and all, I just prefer the idea of a separate head and cab) So, I'll need to take it in for servicing first, just to make sure it can actually be fixed. But once that is done, how would I go about converting it into a JTM45? Or, at least...JTM anything...

Re: Marshall combo conversion?

Well, I guess I just complicated the issue a bit...something I didn't take into account. The JTM45 has 6 knobs... the bluesbreaker has a tremolo, which uses two additional knobs, giving it an extended faceplate. Anything that can be done about that (cause honestly, that tremolo is useless) I realize that kind of kills the whole idea, cause its all wired on the chasis...grr...

Well anywho, if anybody has any comments or suggestions, fire away.

Comment

you would have to get a different head box than the jtm45 if it doesn't fit, different head box sizes like a 59 slp or 1987x or any other plexi styled head box might work, you just have to find one that measures right. o ya and if I'm not mistakin, isnt the bluesbreakers face plate on the top rear of the amp? if so I doubt you could make that fit into a head box. If I were you I would sell the bluesbreaker, if its the 2x12 version than you could make a ton of cash. jtm45 heads go for around $750-$800 on ebay, you could probably get a cab as well.

Comment

I took my 2204 out of its combo and stuck it on the top, it doesn't die of vibrations any more, but it's a hell of a job to find an amp box (3 years and still no luck!) - if you sell and rebuy, you will probably save yourself a lot of grief, but not necessarily a lot of moulah.

Comment

Buy the JTM45
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

well that leads me to my next (and most pressing) problem...the fact that it recently stopped producing a noise. I better get this thing over to guitar center to have it checked out. Thanks for the help though guys!

Comment

I would be inclined to get it in working order, sell it, then buy what you want.

Once you start modding it you'll own something that will be difficult to sell if you decide you don't like it.

Comment

Those combos and heads aren't interchangeable, because the layout and direction are different. I tried putting a plexi chassis in a Matchless combo once, and it turned out to be impossible, so I had to sell all of it.

The problem sounds like a shot tube. Sell the combo and get a 1987 50W Plexi reissue and 2-12 or 4-12.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

lol, thats funny you should say that, cause I've been reading up on those a lot lately and was thinking that a 1987 would be a nice compliment for my showman.

Comment

Working...
                  X