Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new amp suggestions?

Hello everybody!!

I'm looking to upgrade my guitar sound by purchasing a better amp! At the moment i have a marshall MG30DFX with a fender fat strat mexico equipped with a seymour duncan JB on the bridge and stock single coils (at the future am considering to change those with either sensors or ssl1) and a distortion pedal, the MXR dime distortion plus a zoom 3000s player that is rarely used. I'm willing to spend as much as 550 euros. I play classic rock/hard rock (think of 70's, 80's rock) and almost no metal music, although i would also like to have as good as possible clean sound. Im considering two amps, the marshall AVT50 (about 520 euros here in greece) and the Peavey Bandit 112 II (about 430 euros), which one should be better for my style? I cannot go for an all tube amp (like for example the marshall dls401) due to my inability to raise the volume high, as 95 % of my guitar playing occurs at room levels!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

Re: new amp suggestions?

If you get a tube amp with a master volume knob along with individual channel knobs, then you can get distortion at low volumes. I would seriously consider a tube amp if you are going to upgrade your sound.

One to consider are the new Traynor YCV's. They come in 20, 40 and 80 watts. Great cleans and distortion and a master volume so you can get great distortion at low volume.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Thanks for your answer!

I will try to see if i can find a traynor amp here in greece so that i will hear it! From what I'm seeing, master volume has ony the model of 80 watts, is aint it? I am i little scared that 80 tube watt will be to much for my bedroom even at low volume settings! Anyway i will try to find one and test it!

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for the answer!

Comment

i think a small tube amp is a good idea a 20w amp would probably be perfect for you. what features are you looking for in our amp?

Comment

Features? Nothing special really, my main concern is to have as much as possible good classic rock tone with decent clean sound as well. Now if the amp features an effects loop and a reverb then it will be optimal, but sound is my priority! The main trouble here in Greece, is that, not many amp brands are available and the most known tube ones like for example marshalls and fenders are prety expensive! In addition not all model are again available! For example the marshall dsl201 which would be a good candidate for my case, is not available in Greece as the line starts at mashall 401 at 800 euros! On the other hand, most fenders are available but far more expensive than on the rest of the world (hot rod deluxe for example is about 1000 euros) and i'm not convinced that fender amps will cover good distortion needs! Maybe would look into a peavey 30 which should be around 700 euros but i hear that have some reliablity problems?

As you can see choises are limited, this is why i was thinking towards solid or hybrid state amps! Tube amps apart (but certainly not out of the picture yet, as i will try to find a tube amp to suit my needs) , in solid state catagory which would be "better" Marshall avt or peavey bandit?
          Last edited by Dragoneti; 08-18-2004, 01:55 PM.

Comment

avt won't be good if you plan on gigging, ever
            Originally posted by gibson175
            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
              Can you clarify that, Drew?
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                Or if you plan on having lively tones...

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                  Can you clarify that, Drew?
                  ALLOW ME TO SUM UP MY EXPERIENCES WITH AVT:
                  :drowned out by bassist
                  :live demo RUINED because amp could not compete with bass/vocals
                  :no clean headroom
                  :Saggy low end distortion
                  :Cleans that suck.

do not go AVT!
                  7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

I recentley played through a Peavey Bandit 112 at band pratice. Whilst they are OK, I forgot how much better tube amps are!!!!

Have you played through a tube amp? If you have, you really can't go back .

I'd say keep an eye out for a used classic 30 or 50. Might take awhile, but you won't mind the wait once you find one at the right price. You could consider buying from ebay and importing to Greece, however freight will be huge and you need to find the correct voltage for your country.

Reliability isn't an issue with peavey. The only issue is tube replacement. These can be imported from www.eurotubes.com

Do yourself a fovour and sell all your other non essential gear.

Then start saving .

Comment

Thank you all for your answers!!

So from the general consensus is that the AVT series are not worth the money and in the solid state category peavey would be better? I don't plan on gigging, i play guitar mostly as a hobby of mine! Of course i will try to find a tube amp available in Greece that will suit my need as i like the tube sound (i have played once or twice with both dsl401 and peavey classic 30 and i liked the sound)! Now i have to wait for the olympic games to finish so to go downtown and start trying amps!

Again thank you all for your answers!!

Comment

Yeah, see if you can find a Traynor Custom Valve 40, Peavey Classic 50, or consider a modeling amp like a Flextone II XL or Vox Valvetronix. Fender Devilles and Hotrod Devilles are also something to consider. Also, 80's and 90's Marshall tube combos.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                        X