No announcement yet.

Good Non-Gibson LP-style alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Non-Gibson LP-style alternative?

I'm a big Hamer Studio fan. If you can deal with the fact that it doesn't look like a Les Paul, it's a good choice. I was in the same boat as you...I was interested in a Les Paul, but even the 1970's models were going for $1200, and those are generally considered the least desireable Les Paul models. So I started looking at alternatives, and I ended up with a Hamer Studio. You'd be surprised how close it comes to sounding like a Les Paul. With the Rio Grande BBQ I have in the bridge, it has a wonderfully fat sound, the kind you would expect from a really good Les Paul. And the best part is that my Studio was well under $700. Check out www.hamerguitars.com, I think you'll really be impressed by their quality. I firmly believe that Hamer makes the highest quality guitars money can buy. Better than PRS, better than Fender, and way better than Gibson.

As others have mentioned, forum member Blueline is a guitar builder who does some amazing work. That might be worth looking into as well.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Great info guys-Thank you!

Ryan-was yours a Korean Hamer or USA? I've played the korean studio that a friend of mine owns-totally hot s-s-h setup. I've not seen a USA Hamer for that price.

I know Lew is a big Hamer fan as well. They're tough to beat that's for sure.

I'll have to get a hold of Blueline. Pureoldsound-That's a cool body style-can't wait to see the results.
      Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Have a guess what I am going to say??

Hamer (US) guitas rock - I have 4 of them and love them. If you want a real alternative get the Monaco Elite or as Ryan has said a Studio - you will be amazed at the quality and sheer tone out of them. Keep an eye out on e-bay and also over at the Hamer forum where there are some guys who sell them before putting them on e-bay. I would then say try and get a Tokai (MIJ) and other guitars that come from the land off the Rising sun. Shame not so long ago I sold my Tokai LS75Q which was an amazing guitar and put most LP standards to shame.

But as others have said why don't you ask Blueline or JohnJohn to make you that killer singlecut (or doublecut). Although I won't know what the actual charges I am sure that it is going to be a lot cheaper and better.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
        Normans Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
          Great info guys-Thank you!

Ryan-was yours a Korean Hamer or USA? I've played the korean studio that a friend of mine owns-totally hot s-s-h setup. I've not seen a USA Hamer for that price.

I know Lew is a big Hamer fan as well. They're tough to beat that's for sure.

I'll have to get a hold of Blueline. Pureoldsound-That's a cool body style-can't wait to see the results.
          Mine is a '94 Hamer USA Studio in emerald Green. They routinely sell on Ebay for less than $700. Not the greatest pic, but you can see how beautiful the flame top and emerald green finish are.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Wow-Norman that's an awesome set of guitars! I'm ashamed I've never checked your links out.

Ryan-cool green top there-definitely unique-totally hot!
            Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Hey there guys

Thanks so much for the knods. I'd love to help ya out- feel free to PM me

sorry for being out of the loop - I was on my honeymoon

Cheers
              Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
              Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
              www.gaugeguitars.com
              Cheers!

Comment

Heritage IMO is making the best LP out there right now...dollar for dollar. You can get the guitars built to the exact specs of the 1959 LP's, made in the same factory, using the same equipment, and in many cased by some of the same luthiers. Many of the artisans at Heritage have been there since the late 50's, early 60's. The younger luthiers have the advantage of learning from the guys who invented it.

I compare it to the SD Antiquities and Seth Lovers. Vintage correct parts, down to the smallest detail, same (exact) winding machine that wound the original PAF's, and co-designed by the man who invented them. How can you get any closer without a time machine?

Heritage all the way.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                X