marshall amps combo/head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall amps combo/head

i was thinking about this the other day..
    is there a diference between a combo amp and the head/stack versions of the same amp (lets take the JCM900)

is it less powerfull or can you drive the combo version through a marshall cab just as good as you an amp head.

any insight apretiated

Re: marshall amps combo/head

they are very similar but there are some minor differences depending on what models you are comparing but basically, yes if you run a head into a cab and run a combo into the same cab it will sound basically the same

Comment

Most of the combo amps simply use the same chassis turned upside down for the combo amps. Like Jeremy said, there are some minor differences depending on the amp. Sometimes they have to beef up the connections, use different brands of tubes due to the pounding the chassis takes in a combo with the speakers 8" away, as apposed the the head having it's own seperate chassis.

Some purists will say that they can hear the difference between a 2205 head for instance, and my 4212 combo, which is the same circuit. I don't know that I buy that. I would bet that in a blindfold test, using the same cab, they couldn't tell the difference....all thinkgs like tubes and setting being equal.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

I have a 900 combo. 50 watt, I like the mobility it has but I feel that a head through a 4 12 cab will have much better bottom. Its just to much to carry!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

thanks guys =)

Comment

Working...
          X