Agathis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agathis?

Been looking at guitars for cheaper prices 300-500 dollar range and found the ltd m-200. THe neck thru construction caught my eye but what about the agathis body. Any one have experience with this wood. Sound quality and such
    Gear Owned.
    PRS Modern Eagle Single Cut trem
    PRS Custom 24
    Splawn Nitro
    Splawn 4x12 g12-75s/vintage 30
    Zakk Wylde Wah
    Maxon Od808
    Boss tu-2
    Boss Ns-2

Re: Agathis?

Compared to all the usual good guitar woods (mahogany, ash, alder, maple etc) it's kinda lifeless. It sounds alright but nothing special. Lacks mojo.
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

I'd liken it to a dull mahogany. It's not bright, but it doesn't have the depth and warmth of mahogany. It's not a horrible wood, though, but like necropolo said, it lacks mojo. I've experienced that agathis would like either real hot passive pickups or a set of active pups. I've got an EMG 81/60 in my Ibanez (agathis body) and I really like the tone I get out of it. Very metal. :rockin:
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

i think its a fairly flat sounding wood, drop a set of seth lovers into it and youll be disapointed. try a jb in the neck and distortion in the bridge and itll scream. the wood doesnt seem to sound all that great with lower output pup, but with high output it seems to work better. since i think lower output pups let more of the guitars woods and construction come thru while hot pups tend to be responcible for more of the tone coloration it makes sense

Comment

My epiphone explorer has a maple neck and agathis body. The bridge is an old superdistortion and it sounds pretty good to my ears, you can hear it at www.purevolume.com/andrewlewin .

Comment

what bout basswood, ibanez rgs are made of that
            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
              what bout basswood, ibanez rgs are made of that

Basswood reminds me of very deep sounding ash.

Comment

Working...
              X