• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson 50th Anniversary Flying V

I like it....Wineburst like my SG.

Comment

I love V's but not that one- thats got the 80's style layout with the controls-no pickguard and a stoptail- yuk

1st rule of Gibson Vs- if it has a stoptail-it must have a 67 style pickguard

2nd rule of Gibson Vs- if it's string through it must have a 58 style pickguard

3rd Rule of Gibson V's- Dean Vs are a different animal and do not folow the same rules

FYI- V, Explorer/Moderne were 1958 "model year" releases- the 50th anniv tag is correct
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

"50th Anniversary V" and they make it the 1967 stop bar model. Gibson...who's checking this stuff before it gets to the public?
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          "50th Anniversary V" and they make it the 1967 stop bar model. Gibson...who's checking this stuff before it gets to the public?
          haha good point i idnt notice that.

Comment

Anyone who calls PRS furniture guitars or too pretty but likes that need be punched right in solar plexus.

I'll take a vintage white plain V thank you.
            DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
              They're celebrating 50 years of the V, they never said they were replicating the original. Did the original have those inlays or the Steinberger tuners?

"The 50-Year Commemorative Flying V guitar combines several timeless elements of the 1958 model, with a few modern appointments for today s demanding players."
              After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by GIBSON

"The 50-Year Commemorative Flying V guitar combines several timeless elements of the 1958 model, with a few modern appointments for todays demanding players."
                Other than the fact that it has two humbuckers, has a mahogany body and neck and has 6 strings, there is nothing in common to a 58 V. It has far more in common with the early to mid 80s V's. In fact it's pretty much a clone with some upgraded inlays and tuners
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I'd buy it if it said PRS on the headstock.

Coz, you know.... only a PRS is good enough.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

this V is nice looking....

Those tuners you can buy from Stewmac... at one point i swear musicyo.com had them but i can't see them any longer... that site looks like a ghost town
                    Last edited by WhoFan; 05-15-2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
                      Anyone who calls PRS furniture guitars or too pretty but likes that need be punched right in solar plexus.

I'll take a vintage white plain V thank you.
                      hahaha you've been exhibiting a lot of angst related to Paul Reed Smith guitars lately...did you just realize how much money you blew on corny guitars? if you want to punch me in the solar plexus, i'm around budday.

People call PRS guitars furniture guitars because all the fancy wood makes them look like expensive night stands. That V doesn't look like any furniture I've ever seen -- it looks like a guitar with rock on its mind.

i'd rather have the faded white one with 3 humbuckers but...I'd rather have this V than ANY Paul Reed Smith.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I totally dig V's and explorers, firebirds, etc. I wish I had the stuff it takes to walk in, plug in and rock the crowd. But at home, how the hell you gonna sit on the rocking chair with that?

FWIW-I second a white one, hold the Steinbergers, too.
                        Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                          hahaha you've been exhibiting a lot of angst related to Paul Reed Smith guitars lately...did you just realize how much money you blew on corny guitars? if you want to punch me in the solar plexus, i'm around budday.

People call PRS guitars furniture guitars because all the fancy wood makes them look like expensive night stands. That V doesn't look like any furniture I've ever seen -- it looks like a guitar with rock on its mind.

i'd rather have the faded white one with 3 humbuckers but...I'd rather have this V than ANY Paul Reed Smith.
                          Looks aside ( because looks doesn't provide tone), its to bad gibson quality control or general quality in general doesn't touch prs. When I went guitar shopping last week, there was one of those 50th ann V's at the Ottawa Long and Mcquade. I had enough money to buy it there, but it wasn't even as good as the prs se models.

That V looks nice, and the gibson name gives it cred to a certain degree, but I was not impressed with it. It seems all of the effort in that guitar went to make it into a piece that is suppose to be hung on a wall. It had a bad neck binding job, and the finish was not that great, even bad at certain spots on the back.

I don't know wich one I would call a furniture guitar....Don't mean to start an argument here, I just find it interesting that we talk about prs furniture when gibson are pumping out instruments like that V : all looks, no substance. The prs might look nice, but it can perform when asked to.
                          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Working...
                          X