banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help figuring out what guitar this is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help figuring out what guitar this is...

ok, here's the deal. about a year ago i saw a local band play and the guitarist had a yamaha that was one of the sweetest guitars i have heard. i just recently remembered it and set out to try to figure out what kind it is. i have been searching the web, but no luck. it was kind of like a strat, but no pickguard, had 3 single coils, the body was almost like a reverse strat shape. the headstock looked almost like a gibson explorer's. this one had a reddish brown paint job with a natural colored stripe down the middle. i couldn't tell if it was set neck or neck through, but it definately was not bolt on. i know it was definately a yamaha, i could see the logo on the headstock. so if anyone happens to know what type of yamaha this is, it would make me a very happy person
    Fender John Mayer Strat
    Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
    PRS Soapbar II SE
    Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
    Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Re: need help figuring out what guitar this is...

i played one of these about 20 years ago (or more) when a friend of mine was associated with the import agency in the UK and it was a beaut!
    I'm afraid I can't remember the model (if I ever knew it) which isn't very helpful, but it was one of the top of the range Yamahas of the time, but a LONG time ago, which explains your difficulty in finding it. You could try collectors or "vintage" type listings rather than current crop of models. If I find anything, I'll let you know.

Comment

thanks, this at least gives me an idea of how old it is. i'll start lookin at the vintage listings. i'd love to find one of these things.
      Fender John Mayer Strat
      PRS Soapbar II SE
      Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12

Taylor 614CE

Comment

well i found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...742757806&rd=1

it's close but not quite it. i remember the one i saw looking a little more rounded, and the body was slightly different, but close. i guess i'll just keep on looking.
        Fender John Mayer Strat
        PRS Soapbar II SE
        Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12

Taylor 614CE

Comment

Working...
        X