boss os-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boss os-2

how does it sound, what are its strong/weak points, and (possibly) who can fix these for me?
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: boss os-2

bump

Comment

I have one, They sound ok but really nothing special..One weak point is that theres alot of bass lost when using it, and sounds a bit lifeless..Not very impressive and im sure you could get more from a different pedal for your money..
      Marshall JVM 410C
      Mesa Boogie DC-3
      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
        I have one, They sound ok but really nothing special..One weak point is that theres alot of bass lost when using it, and sounds a bit lifeless..Not very impressive and im sure you could get more from a different pedal for your money..
        Exactly what I thought of mine before I sold it cheap to finance my much better Carl Martin pedal.
        Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
        Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
        Carl Martin Rock Drive
        ISP Decimator
        BOSS DD-3
        Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

ahh, but the description sounds like exactly what i wanna do, mix distortion with overdrive

Comment

personally i dont like them one bit, a friend of mine used one for a while and got the worst dirty sound ive heard in a long time. the OS-2 was and still is refered to as the "cheese box". i think we got better OD from a squier amp as well

you might have better luck with it but as far as my experience with it, its way too thin and trebley, even with the best of EQing

Comment

maybe indyguitarist makes a really good mod

Comment

its not worth it man, you should really look else where.. go out to a music store and try out a few OD pedals and see which one has the sound your looking for

by the time you get the OS-2 and have it modded, you'll have paid more money on a less impressive pedal than what you could get stock from another pedal

Comment

we have a really bad selection here :/

according to the indyguitarist guy, the mod makes the pedal "much fuller, richer, and ballsier"

i originally started looking at it cuz i looked up sublime's rig on guitargeek cuz i really liked the distortion in the song new thrash (#9 on 40 oz to freedom) and i was hoping to get that sound kinda, but he was playing thru a marshall, so i figured i'd get a little more fender tone, which is what i want

then again he could be using the jcm-800 distortion, i dunno

if anyone could listen to that song and give me a good well thought out reccomendation i swear i'll stop asking about distortion pedals, haha

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                    we have a really bad selection here :/

according to the indyguitarist guy, the mod makes the pedal "much fuller, richer, and ballsier"

i originally started looking at it cuz i looked up sublime's rig on guitargeek cuz i really liked the distortion in the song new thrash (#9 on 40 oz to freedom) and i was hoping to get that sound kinda, but he was playing thru a marshall, so i figured i'd get a little more fender tone, which is what i want

then again he could be using the jcm-800 distortion, i dunno

if anyone could listen to that song and give me a good well thought out reccomendation i swear i'll stop asking about distortion pedals, haha

A DS1 has the tone.....$40 gets you a new DS1....Unmodded though...
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

would a modded one be better?

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                        would a modded one be better?
                        I'll let some other forum members chime in on how a modded DS1 sounds...To me it sounds like a good JCM 800 with alot of harmonic content...Strong lows,cutting mids,.....
                        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Sounds like your already sold on this pedal, but let me say I have one and agree with everyone else. Very lifeless. And, on top of that, it broke after 3 weeks (bought it new, stored it in the box between uses, etc). Its now at Boss getting repaired. Im hoping they call me and say "cant fix it, would you like something else", haha.
                          I replaced it with a Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive. That thing kicks ass. Way more life, tone, and variation than the Boss...and alot cheaper too.
                          Its up to you not to heed the call-up

Comment

Doesnt the marshall Jackhammer have Od and Distrtion, Not sure if you can mix them but IMO the Jackhammer is One of the best pdals ive heard, Very Ballsy and full and thick..And this was through a marshall 15watt solidstate and epiphone special les paul (the really really cheap one), And i cant get the OS 2 to sound good through my Wolfgang and DSL 50..Definitly try it..
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3
                            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

My OS2 gets it done for me so far but I am really only using the OD part and then very little. It's more of a clean boost for me to drive the power tubes a bit. I will only use the distortion side when f'ing around. I could probably get what I need from any one of several OD pedals and boosters out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X