Big difference going from .10 to .11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big difference going from .10 to .11?

Did you guys notice a big difference in going from .10 to .11 string gauge?
    I am fully capable of setting up an entire guitar so it's not really a problem but is it necissary to do a complete re-setup?

My band recently started to tune everything a half step down. We really like the sound we're getting now and makes singing a lot easier too but strings tend to go a little floppy so I'll go and try if .11 gives some more tension. Does this also mean that .11's break faster? I don't really break strings a lot but I do have an agressive attack on them.

Re: Big difference going from .10 to .11?

I use power slinky .48-.11 and i find the change no problem. I've never broken strings before but i would have thought the thicker strings were less prone to breaking since theres more mass to break. There could possibly be need for truss rod adjustment but i did the same jump from .10 to .11 last summer without it and all is ok still.

Comment

11's should break less than 10's....

I find a huge difference going from 10's to 11's. I find it hard to bend strings with the 11 gauge but with 10's it's not a problem. I'm sure that after a while I'd get used to 11's and it would be easy to bend strings, but currently I use 10-52. The thicker strings give a good strong tone and downtuning would be no problem.
      There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

Originally posted by darkshadow54321
        I find it hard to bend strings with the 11 gauge but with 10's it's not a problem.
        I had the same difficulty when i first moved to .11s but after not too long i was ok. Now when i play my friend's RG with .9s i bend the strings across the whole fretboard
        Last edited by Mr Wolf; 03-27-2004, 08:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Comment

Changing from 10s to 11s will most likely require re-setting the truss rod, re-calibrating the bridge and maybe opening up the nut slots. It will make your tone a bit thicker and you may notice a slight increase in output.

It will stiffen the neck up in drop tunings nicely.
          www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
          www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Good call, i think i might be doing the same thing soon. When i get hold of my new es137 i might just have her set up with 11's.
            My Soundclick page.

Comment

I love 11's. It takes a bit to get used to the strength needed for double stops and such, but they feel good, sound good, and last well.

Another cool thing is that if anyone else tries to play your guitar they think you are a maniac for being able to bend those strings. If you pick up theirs you can bend the high e string like five notes!
              Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I think there's a big tonal difference as well, I get more bottom out my Power Slinkies than I ever did out of my old .10s. More of a twang from the added tension, good stuff.

And you should be able to bend those strings a little easier since you downtune.
                Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                Originally posted by Sosomething
                "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Working...
                X