views on crate amps??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: views on crate amps??

The Blue Voodoo amps are probley the best amps Crate has ever built. I like the BV 60 and 120 watt amps but the new 300watt BV amp is overkill. Who needs 300 watts of tube tone?

Comment

do any of you guys have any clips of these amps?

Comment

As far as I know,
        Crate Tube amps=good
        Crate Solid State=bad

BUT, it seems like Crate is cranking out some new solid state stuff that's getting a lot of critical acclaim. I know a lot of forum dudes here use them. I've only played/owned the practice sized solid state ones (15-30watts) and they were horrid (broke down constantly and had bad static/feedback problems, fuzzy distortion, etc. Maybe I just got some lemons?), so I don't know about the better SS Crates.

I haven't found any clips of the Blue Voodoos, but you could listen to Marty Friedman.
        Last edited by Biu; 03-28-2004, 01:48 PM.
        Watch My Videos
        Photography
        www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
        "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

I have the V-Series VFX-5212 with 50 watts of course (actually too loud for home great for stage), 15 digital effects which are pretty good, clean tones like a Vox and the dirty channel is like a JCM 800 Marshall with bit more more gain. I replaced stock speakers with a Vintage 30 and an Eminence GB12.

I really like the V1512 since it, with a tube swap (JJ EL-84s) and an Eminence GB12 speaker in place of the stock Eminence, is so close to a Marshall 18 Watt to be down right scary. Build quality is very good and PC boards are thick and have plated through construction like a Mesa. The larger V-Series have output tube sockets mounted to the chassis, something Mesa and Fender Hot Rod series lack.

Comment

I dont think they are nearly as bad as people make them out to be.
            MySpace!

2003 Gibson LesPaul Standard(lightburst) JB bridge / Jazz neck

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

2004 ESP LTD Viper-400 (white) EMG-81 set

Marshall DSL50

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Rectifier slant cab loaded with V-30's

Comment

I have a Crate Vintage Club 50. For me, it works great. The clean channel, while a bit loud for my purposes, are really dynamic, how hard you are picking counts A LOT here, more than any other amp I have tried. The Dist channel are good, but not great.

However, I would not recommend one if you are a strat player. If I don't turn down the treble knob on the amp and tone knob on my guitar, I get icepick sounds, and I am using a all mahogany flat-top LP! It may be the pickups though (Bought it used, so I am not sure what they are. When did Dimarzio get the double cream patent? My guitar is from 81, so if it was earlier, then it was Dimarzio.Anyway, bridge is WAY to muddy, and bridge is a little too bright). They will be replaced soon.

Comment

I use a GFX120, and love it.... have been using it for 2 yrs with zero trouble...

Comment

I bought my Crate amp about four years ago. It is a VC 508 1X8 tube combo amp. Yes! Tube amp. I was specifically looking for a small practise tube amp and at the time the only one available to me was this one made by Crate.

5 watts with an EL84 in it.

It is great for practicing. When people see it they say "Cute little amp". When I tell them it is tube they go on to say "Tube?! No Way! That's awesome".

Four years running and no problems at all!
                  _

Comment

The Blue Voodoo line is insanely cheap for the quality you get. For about 400, you get a lot of power, some sickeningly crushing distortion and a clean channel that beats Marshall and Mesa. I think some reverb or effects would spice up the BVs clean channel, but with a little tweaking, the distortion is quite good. A fine amp for the money.
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMist
                      The Blue Voodoo amps are probley the best amps Crate has ever built. I like the BV 60 and 120 watt amps but the new 300watt BV amp is overkill. Who needs 300 watts of tube tone?
                      Apparently Hagar and Friedman need it
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Doesnt Marty Friedmen use Bogner amps now?

Comment

I have a Crate GX-15R It's a great little practice amp for $79 bucks. I almost brought
                          a Crate Club series around 10 years ago. The clean channel was warm and sweet. I
                          was just gonna pull the trigger, and buy it when I switched to the O.D. channel Witch
                          I found was harsh and buzzy sounding ?? It's funny Cuz' if it was a one channel amp I
                          would have gotten it.
                          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

alright guys i just ordered a crate glx212 which the music store said was the top series for crate and it only cost me 800 bucks pretty cheap for the quality

Comment

Working...
                            X