banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boutique Strats. Pricey, but Sweet! Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Boutique Strats. Pricey, but Sweet! Pics!

I think that putting together a guitar from parts is a good way to learn, and also gratifying instrument to have, knowing you put it together. On the other hand, the makers of these boutique companies have disected the anatomy of a bolt on guitar to such a degree that THEIR final result is most likely going to be superior to our final result. Not always, but that's the basis of cost going into these guitars. They've usually 'split hairs' to the point that you can't figure out why you love their guitars when you play them, you just know the quality when you feel it.

I still have a hard time justifying buying a bolt on strat type guitar for more than $1500. Maybe it's my cheapness, but I can only lay out more than $1500 for something that's a true work of art, collectible, or a high end amp, or something. I don't honestly think I could hand a person well over $2000 for any type of strat. Still love to look at them, tho. Or, try and find one that's around $1200, not $2700.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've seen some good examples of Melancons and similar going for prices not too far above the $1,000-$1,200 mark on Ebay before. I'd happily spend that much on a guitar like that

Comment

They really aren't that poorly priced. My Grosh was 1400 after everything (s&h, insurance).

I can't play normal guitars anymore. I've played many Paul Reed Smiths, and my purple beauty up above looks and plays better than 99% of them (some Artist AAAAA private stock are a bit nicer, but most aren't). The flame is incredible! The Grosh vintage-izing neck feels great and allows for some easy and fun playing (that was the seller right there.. the feel of the neck... unlike anything I've felt before). The fretwork is arguably the best in the business. The craftsmanship of a handmade guitar by a luthier that cares is unmatched. Every joint is flawless and it really is a trip to play something so flawlessly designed.

Think about it: it's a bolt-on strat (people don't like to hear that) but the pockets are so tight they keep out even air and the string vibration and transfer is that of a setneck. Superstrats are just that, super IMHO. I don't think I'd change a thing on her now. The single coils do their job and the humbucker sounds better than the one on my Gibson Les Paul Standard (I think my newer sound clips of my Triamp show that )

I'm not quite sure why they haven't caught on more, but I can't complain. I wouldn't be so lucky to pickup a 3 grand guitar for 1400 if there was more desire. Just my .02
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Many of the boutique companies seem to be from California. It may be why I bring them up so often here, because Fenders will always be popular, but I do see quite a few good players with Andersons, Grosh, Suhr, or Ken Smith basses, or similar.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            My Grosh was 1400 after everything (s&h, insurance).
            Wow, that's a nice deal. I'd pay that in a second to get a Grosh here.

Comment

I played a couple of Tylers and really liked them but a strat deluxe with SD PUs (APS1 & TwgBg) is the best strat tone to me and far less expensive !

I don't have the "goose pimple" kind of thing when looking at a boutique strat that I get with a "gibbie set neck mapple top" axe ! (PRS, Baker, Hamer ....)
              Pickups used :
              Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
              PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
              PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
              PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
              PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
              PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
              PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
              PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
              PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
              Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
              Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
              SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

Chris's is a beauty!!!

But I think my favorite was that Anderson Drop top!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                X