banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have no idea what you´re doing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you have no idea what you´re doing....

.... Then don´t do it.

I can´t believe how often I´ve heard this, and it´s even harder to believe how many people obviously haven´t.

I mean, look at Jeff´s Fuse thread, or some of the other threads that come up. How many more innocent amps and guitars have to die?

Just some examples from my collection that I managed to save from further harm:

Phoenix (´88 Jackson Soloist, STILL waiting for graphics )
    Trem cavity filled with Bondo, Tune-O-Matic mounted, neck poorly stripped (caused a profile change and a small rebinding). Nothing against the stripping (although it coulda been better) or the Tune-O-Matic. But the Bondo destroyed a brand new, formerly unused set of chisels when I removed it.

Fernandes Rhoads: horrible crackle "overfinish", the original paint was badly marred and had to be removed as well. Neck also stripped/reprofiled, near sand-thru on the headstock binding, single coil mounted in the neck Humbucker slot with epoxy, (dead router bit, therefore the cheaper chisels to destroy on Phoenix), electronics changed to 2 volumes, no switch, jack on pickguard with fin-jack unconnected but mounted, Floyd mongrelized from multiple other Floyds, black, chrome and Gold hardware.

Or some of the things I´ve seen....

-Intonation screws used as fine tuners.
    -Floyds with the ball ends "locked in"
    -Tune-O-Matics with the string "looped" through the ball end with the resulting loop wrapped around the tailpiece
    -Floyds resting at like a 45 degree angle, either off the top or into the recess (fairly common, actually)
    -Steel strings on a Classical
    -Archtop bridges glued in place
    -Strat bodies destroyed for a neck that was never mounted or even bought
    -SG´s where the neck literally fell off after mounting a Humbucker in what was a P-90 slot
    -Strat with the horns cut off to look like a teardrop (actually a cool idea, but did it have to be a 70´s bighead? )

Probably the worst single case I´ve ever seen:

Original (read: Non-reissue)´67 Flying V, bought by dad because of it´s investment value in addition to its players value. 15 year old kid: chiseled(!!!) away wood for a Floyd and a third humbucker, mounted switches for all kinds of stuff that didn´t work, took apart and attempted to "4-wire" the original P.A.F.s., installed black plastic covers as well , Installed a second tone knob with hole, and engraved his initials just about everywhere. Oh, did I mention he refinished it in neon green with red stripes, in non-matching (chemically) paints, and made it a fretless without filling the slots but still scalloped the last 10 frets, obviously scarring the wings with the file as well. The hardware was all tarnished and corroded, as if someone had tried to chemically strip the plating and failed miserably

Restoration of that guitar cost so much (>3500.-DM = about 2000 bucks) that dad took it away for good and deposited it at a bank until he´s 25 (about another 5 years). Smart move by dad, it should now be about worth what it was when he first bought it.

Actually one of the restorations I´m most proud of, I honestly don´t think any casual collector nor most luthiers would ever notice. She looked, felt, and smelled like she had been in her case for 35 years and was just ACHING to be played. I wish I still had pics, cripes I kinda wish I would have told him the axe was unrecoverable when the thought crossed my mind. But I´m the best there is around these parts, and this was my chance to prove it

Let´s hear some of your: "What kind of idiot would do this to a guitar?" stories, I´m sure we´ve got a whole comedy novel in our collective memories.
    Last edited by Zerberus; 08-20-2004, 12:26 PM.
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Re: If you have no idea what you´re doing....

"Tune-O-Matics with the string "looped" through the ball end with the resulting loop wrapped around the tailpiece"

Sorry don't want to ruin your topic, but what's wrong with doing something like this? (does it damage the hardware that much?) Doesn't Zakk Wylde do the same thing, and didn't he say it improved his sustain?
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

"Tune-O-Matics with the string "looped" through the ball end with the resulting loop wrapped around the tailpiece"
      Try to read it again
      It is quite moronic to do so

Comment

Zakk runs them under (or over?) the tailpiece, just like I do, but still strings THROUGH the tailpiece (just "in reverse"). I´m talking about literally wrapping the strings around the tailpiece, with no contact to the retaining holes inside the tailpiece.

1. severe tuning instability because of non fixed position
        2. Plating wears quickly because of non fixed position
        3. Strings tighten like a slipknot (DUH, they´re essentially wrapped in one) at the tailpiece, making you actually have to CUT the string off the guitar.

Enough No-No´s for you?

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Zerberus]Zakk runs them under (or over?) the tailpiece, just like I do, but still strings THROUGH the tailpiece (just "in reverse").[QUOTE]

Let me know what the correct way is to do this. I'd like to give it a try. How stupid does a person have to be to actually WRAP the string around the tailpiece. That's hillarious and scary at the same time.

Comment

Defenitely! Sorry to have bothered you with my incompetent question Zerb
            Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
            Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
            Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
            Marshall 2x12 Vintage
            Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

There is no "correct" way. I´ve seen all 3 (Over, Under, "normal"), but I´ve always strung under because to me as a luthier it seems most logical that sustain would increase because of the sharper angle.

You just run the string through the tailpiece fron neck to butt instead of from butt to neck, and then loop thge strings either over or under the tailpiece, depending on preference

Come to think of it, I´ve NEVER A/B´ed this, maybe I should next time I restring my lester....

Originally posted by Neeradj
              Defenitely! Sorry to have bothered you with my incompetent question Zerb
              Bother me? When? BTW, There are no incompetent questions, just incompetent teachers like myself

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                A couple of my fav's:

Don't use a hot glue gun to repair wood.....
                Why does something tell me you´ve tried this?
                PS-Unless you are authorized to do so DO NOT tell people you can do a Buzz Feiten retrofit for cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!
                Who?? Hopefully nobody here, I know it wasn´t me

Comment

I always run my strings neck to tail (on TOM's) and then over the top of the TOM to the tuners. I read an article on this a year or so ago, and then saw that Scott does it on his R8. I can lower both the tailpiece and TOM this way to get lower action and greater sustain (I think).
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                    .... Probably the worst single case I´ve ever seen:

Original (read: Non-reissue)´67 Flying V, ....obviously scarring the wings with the file as well. The hardware was all tarnished and corroded, as if someone had tried to chemically strip the plating and failed miserably

Zerb, I think you forgot to mention the F-You and little boy pissing on Fender stickers affixed to the face.

But, then again it doesn't sound like he left enough meat on the guitar for the mandatory stickers.
                    Originally posted by Scott_F
                    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                      -Intonation screws used as fine tuners.
                      Been there - done that. (Many, many moons ago.)

Hey, if no one tells you different, thats what they look like they do.

Comment

To all the players who keep complaining that their guitars are outta whack, no matter how many adjustments they think they're qualified to make......

Stop being cheap, and pay the $20!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most techs don't charge that much, and you won't continue to have the constant headache of bad intonation or buzzing frets. I've seen people buy new guitars, just because they refuse to put $40 into their poorly setup guitar.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                          Do not try to hide paint scratches and chips with liquid paper.
                          Do not stick your headstock into a moving train
                          The liquid paper one is good, but the train one cracks me every time I read it. God, what a Numbskull that must have been (or VERY stupid accident)

Comment

Zerb,

Your Black Forest avatar reminded me of something...It's looking more and more like I'm going to be in the Bavarian region in May for about a week (European vacation) to drink some beers, eat some dead animals, and visit some castles. Most interesting part is that my wife has absolutely no desire to visit Europe... so Matty's flying solo! Now, I just need to learn some German... Meine name ist Mathias.... That's all I know!

My tourist book shows Freiburg not too far from Munich. If I get that way, I wanna drop into your shop and throw down a brew and check out your Jacksons if you're still over there. If I had room, I'd bring my Jackson in for a setup. But I'm afraid it would somehow not survive the trip.

My tourist book also says that Frieburg is a "college town." So, I figured that you moved there for the chicks!

-Matt
                            Originally posted by Scott_F
                            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

[QUOTE=Skullkrusher][QUOTE=Zerberus]Zakk runs them under (or over?) the tailpiece, just like I do, but still strings THROUGH the tailpiece (just "in reverse").

Let me know what the correct way is to do this. I'd like to give it a try. How stupid does a person have to be to actually WRAP the string around the tailpiece. That's hillarious and scary at the same time.

I like it because I get more control of my palm mutes this way. I don't know if it does anything for the sustain or not, but supposedly it'll improve it since you can screw the tailpiece right down. Like I say though, I don't know if it actually helps sustain or not, as it reduces the string angle over the saddles, but it does cut down on string breakage.
                              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                              X