Review of Stradeluxer97 - TS9 mod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Stradeluxer97 - TS9 mod!

Of course all of you know that John (aka Stradeluxer97) is well known for doing mods and this is a review of the Ibanez TS9 mod that he has done for me. A little background to set the scene so to speak.

I have long wanted John to do a mod on a pedal for me but as I live in England to actually send one over to him and for him to do the mod and send it back was going to be a logistical (and possibly expensive) nightmare. After pursuing some possible options we agreed that the best thing was for him to purchase the pedal and carry out and do the mod and send it over to me (of course I paid John). John is one helluva person to deal with and communicate with. He purchased the same day that I contacted him and did the mod and sent it over to me and I got my hands on it earlier this week. Due to some personal problems with my mother I have not really been able to give the pedal a thorough going over and today I was able to do so.

I also have a Maxon OD-9 pedal which is really an Ibanez TS-9 pedal as well, so it was going to be a shootout between both of them and interesting to see how they compare. For the review I used my Highway US strat (complete with the new Warmoth wenge neck and brazilian board), my vintage '57 strat complete with fralin pups. I also used my Hamer Studio Custom. For my amps I plugged them into my Blues Juniors and also went into my Mesa Boogie Nomad 55 with ext speaker.

Well John's mod on the pedal just rocks for my strats - it has plenty of lows and lovely gain and lots of output - John said to me that this has more balls and he is absolutely right. In fact it has loads of BALLS in comparison to my stock OD-9 pedal. Keeping the gain at or around 1-2 o'clock gives you lovely lead tones and you can easily get some very sweetsinging sustain. You still have the ability to dial in clean "boosted" tones also and you'll have more range on the drive knob overall. As long as you don't dial the gain up too much but if you want dirty then you have got it. What I also noticed that somehow it is also a very quiet pedal in comparison to the other pedal.

With my Custom Studio ('59 humbuckers) the amount of sustain and gain is huge, although you have to dial in a bit more tone (and also do some eq on the amp - Mesa Boogie) - quite literally you are talking Santana tones which just lasts forever. In comparison with my stock pedal it was thin by comparison and in fact I tend to use my OD9 pedal for my humbuckers and use my SD-1 for my strats. They are now going to be taking a back seat and I am only going to be using John's modded pedal from now on. Of course I will be testing them it in real gigging condition and I think the others will largely become redundant.

For anyone who is even thinking about getting John to do the mods on their pedals or even do what I did and ask him to buy one and send it over - what are you waiting for?? John is a tremendous person and a guy who will communicate with you and let you know what is going on at every stage. I am only grateful that John considers me a friend and was willing to do this for me.

To him my immense gratitude and thanks buddy

Norman
    Normans Guitars

Re: Review of Stradeluxer97 - TS9 mod!

Awesome!!!
    Speaks lengths about our man John!

Comment

Yeah....all in all John doesn't suck.

Seriously....his mods are great, and he's one hell of a nice guy to deal with. With this type of quality he could make this a new business venture!
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
        Of course all of you know that John (aka Stradeluxer97) is well known for doing mods and this is a review of the Ibanez TS9 mod that he has done for me. A little background to set the scene so to speak.

I have long wanted John to do a mod on a pedal for me but as I live in England to actually send one over to him and for him to do the mod and send it back was going to be a logistical (and possibly expensive) nightmare. After pursuing some possible options we agreed that the best thing was for him to purchase the pedal and carry out and do the mod and send it over to me (of course I paid John). John is one helluva person to deal with and communicate with. He purchased the same day that I contacted him and did the mod and sent it over to me and I got my hands on it earlier this week. Due to some personal problems with my mother I have not really been able to give the pedal a thorough going over and today I was able to do so.

I also have a Maxon OD-9 pedal which is really an Ibanez TS-9 pedal as well, so it was going to be a shootout between both of them and interesting to see how they compare. For the review I used my Highway US strat (complete with the new Warmoth wenge neck and brazilian board), my vintage '57 strat complete with fralin pups. I also used my Hamer Studio Custom. For my amps I plugged them into my Blues Juniors and also went into my Mesa Boogie Nomad 55 with ext speaker.

Well John's mod on the pedal just rocks for my strats - it has plenty of lows and lovely gain and lots of output - John said to me that this has more balls and he is absolutely right. In fact it has loads of BALLS in comparison to my stock OD-9 pedal. Keeping the gain at or around 1-2 o'clock gives you lovely lead tones and you can easily get some very sweetsinging sustain. You still have the ability to dial in clean "boosted" tones also and you'll have more range on the drive knob overall. As long as you don't dial the gain up too much but if you want dirty then you have got it. What I also noticed that somehow it is also a very quiet pedal in comparison to the other pedal.

With my Custom Studio ('59 humbuckers) the amount of sustain and gain is huge, although you have to dial in a bit more tone (and also do some eq on the amp - Mesa Boogie) - quite literally you are talking Santana tones which just lasts forever. In comparison with my stock pedal it was thin by comparison and in fact I tend to use my OD9 pedal for my humbuckers and use my SD-1 for my strats. They are now going to be taking a back seat and I am only going to be using John's modded pedal from now on. Of course I will be testing them it in real gigging condition and I think the others will largely become redundant.

For anyone who is even thinking about getting John to do the mods on their pedals or even do what I did and ask him to buy one and send it over - what are you waiting for?? John is a tremendous person and a guy who will communicate with you and let you know what is going on at every stage. I am only grateful that John considers me a friend and was willing to do this for me.

To him my immense gratitude and thanks buddy

Norman
        Norman...Man oh Man this is a great review buddy...Glad you like the TS9 as I promised you would...The way you explained your pedal is pretty much dead on the way I explain the mods to others...I am very happy and I'm also glad to be a small part in your quest for great tone...If I can do anything else for you in the future like we did with your pedal,just ask and consider it done..You've made my day Norman..Thanks again...Thanks to Rid and Jeff H for the nice comments also..Glad to be part of such a great bunch of people..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
          Norman...Man oh Man this is a great review buddy...Glad you like the TS9 as I promised you would...The way you explained your pedal is pretty much dead on the way I explain the mods to others...I am very happy and I'm also glad to be a small part in your quest for great tone...If I can do anything else for you in the future like we did with your pedal,just ask and consider it done..You've made my day Norman..Thanks again...Thanks to Rid and Jeff H for the nice comments also..Glad to be part of such a great bunch of people..

John
          Thank you John for making my day and also for getting me that tone buddy, I am going to be away from Sunday meeting up with a lot of guitar players and some very good folk that I know. They are all going to be wanting to get their hands (and feet) on that modded pedal once they hear what tones can come out from it.

Rest assured I'll sell it to them for a lot of money and then come back and ask you to do the same for another mod Seriously I suspect that some of them will want to get pedals modded by you and you had better make sure you have some time on your hands

Once again you are an awesome guy and don't be surprised if something comes your way. One thing that I forgot to mention in my review is that I put my old mxr dynacomp compressor pedal and used it with my Studio Custom and very easily got the "woman tones" that Santana gets and long sustain...

Norman
          Normans Guitars

Comment

Thank you John for making my day and also for getting me that tone buddy, I am going to be away from Sunday meeting up with a lot of guitar players and some very good folk that I know. They are all going to be wanting to get their hands (and feet) on that modded pedal once they hear what tones can come out from it.

Rest assured I'll sell it to them for a lot of money and then come back and ask you to do the same for another mod Seriously I suspect that some of them will want to get pedals modded by you and you had better make sure you have some time on your hands

Once again you are an awesome guy and don't be surprised if something comes your way. One thing that I forgot to mention in my review is that I put my old mxr dynacomp compressor pedal and used it with my Studio Custom and very easily got the "woman tones" that Santana gets and long sustain...

Norman
            Great to hear it buddy...Just contact me if I can help..Give me a sought of heads up also so I make sure I have some supply on hand for your buddies..Glad the pedal sounds great to you...

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

John's aiight in my book. Did a great job on my TS...

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
              Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
              Celestion speakers
              Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
              Too many pedals....

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
                John's aiight in my book. Did a great job on my TS...

Hello Brian...Hey where have you been buddy? Haven't seen you around much lately? Thanks for the nice compliment...It's real easy and honest of me to say the same thing about you Brian..

John

Comment

Wow, thats one long review!! Well done John, i have heard many good reviews of your pedals, one day maybe you could do the same for me ?!?!
                  Serious the people on here always praise your work. Well done!
                  Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
                  Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
                  Korg AX1500G multi-fx
                  RAT
                  Boss PH-1r
                  Ibanez cf-7
                  Ibanwz ts-7
                  Danelectro tremolo
                  Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Originally posted by Dooogz
                    Wow, thats one long review!! Well done John, i have heard many good reviews of your pedals, one day maybe you could do the same for me ?!?!
                    Serious the people on here always praise your work. Well done!
                    Just contact me and we'll get it done for ya..Wasn't any big deal to do.

John

Comment

Guys,

My apologies for the length of the review but it really does not do justice to what a modded pedal by John can do. He and I (although we have not met) share very similar tastes and know what we want from things and so do others who have had the mod done to their pedals.

John has spent a considerable time in learning and honing his craft and skills and to my mind anyone who does not have the mod done by him is a real fool. For the time and effort he puts into the work and for not very much money you guys should get it done before John decides he's had enough and does not want to do it anymore.

I know that he considers what he does for members of the board a sort of hobby and something with which he loves to do but really I would not blame John if he decides to double his mod fee and it would still be cheaper than getting it done elsewhere - Keeley mods and all.

I have rambled on again here - but do it guys before John gets really famous. You have heard it and read it here first!!

Norman
                      Normans Guitars

Comment

Guys,

My apologies for the length of the review but it really does not do justice to what a modded pedal by John can do. He and I (although we have not met) share very similar tastes and know what we want from things and so do others who have had the mod done to their pedals.

John has spent a considerable time in learning and honing his craft and skills and to my mind anyone who does not have the mod done by him is a real fool. For the time and effort he puts into the work and for not very much money you guys should get it done before John decides he's had enough and does not want to do it anymore.

I know that he considers what he does for members of the board a sort of hobby and something with which he loves to do but really I would not blame John if he decides to double his mod fee and it would still be cheaper than getting it done elsewhere - Keeley mods and all.

I have rambled on again here - but do it guys before John gets really famous. You have heard it and read it here first!!

Norman
                        Thanks again for posting Norman...I've no plans to double the price of the mods....Keeley charges $50 I think if you send him your pedal and because it is a hobby that I really enjoy,I'm not going to charge all of you more money for the mods...This is just a hobby that I enjoy for some beer money and that's all..What I enjoy the most,is you guys taking the time to tell me that you like the pedal..This is what really matters..If you're getting great tone and I had a small part in it,then cool,I'm estatic...

John

Comment

Working...
                        X