I need help selling some amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help selling some amps

I own a peavey classic 50 410. It works perfectly, but it seriously could use some new tubes. Would it be better for my pocket book to spend a little money to re-tube it and advertise that it has fresh tubes, or to just sell it as is?

I also have a used 2 ch. mesa triple recto that I bought from this guy because he sold me the head and a 2x12 recto cab for a really good deal. I want to sell the head because it is rediculously huge for my needs. It works perfectly well, but I have no idea how much time is on the tubes. I don't want ro rip anyone off at all, but I want to get as good a deal as I can. Also, do you think ebay is the way to go for the head or newspaper?

What should I do?
    Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
    Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Re: I need help selling some amps

I see it go both ways on eBay. Lots of guys stating that they just spent "X" amount of $$ on new tubes, having a tech check it out...ect. Others say it works great, but is probably due for a re-tube.

Here's my take on it. Post those amps here in the trading section, and on any other music forums you're a member of. Most of us gear heads would probably prefer to put in tubes of our liking....since we're overly picky about what we use. Just list what you know, and if the amps are in good working order there should be no issues.

If they don't sell here or on another forum, and you're going to go eBay, you might want to re-tube, if you have the cash. I think more inexperienced buyers on eBay will feel better buying an amp that has been recently serviced. Makes them feel more at ease with the purchase, and you have more potential bidders. Just add the money it cost you for tubes and service to the price of each amp.

Both types of amps you have are fairly desireable, and you should have no trouble moving them. I'd bet someone here would snap up that Peavy in a heartbeat. Good luck.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

As a matter of fact..........whatcha want for the Peavey as is?????

I'm with Jeff on this one. Just be as honest as you can in your descriptions. Anyone on these boards will semi-know what they're getting & will prefer to tube it themselves.

On E-bay, a buyer that might be someone new to guitar or even in buying from an auction might feel better knowing it's been retubed/biased/checked out & you can add the cost of doing that to the total cost.

Just my opinion, of course....but you should have no problems unloading either amp.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

A Classic 50 4-10 will attract a buyer who may want to choose his tubes, like Jeff said.
        Mesa Recs will always have a buyer with cash in hand, so just list both amps locally first, if you don't mind sitting and waiting awhile. This way, you'll avoid the hassle of boxing it up and sending it, and potential shipping problems like bent speaker magnets or trannies. Big combos get damaged fairly often, even when packed well, so I'd try to get a person to pick it up.

Also, since both of your amps are hip and desireable, don't look like a desperate seller. Just list them at a fair price like $450 for the Peavey and $1200 for the Triple Rec.
        You'll get calls, so don't give it away cheap to the first grinder. Make them buy new tubes after paying you what you want.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Best bet is to take time with your photos. Hi-rez photos are awesome, and you get a better result if you host the photos on your own website rather than let Ebay host them for you.

I'm about to sell a VHT Pittbull head on Ebay and it's been my experience that nice photos or a nice collage will totally help sell you item for a bit more cash, which is always good.

This is the type of collage I usually do. It takes about 10 minutes in a program like Fireworks or Photoshop, and the reactions I've gotten have been totally positive.

Good luck!

-Chad
          Regards,

Chad Dyer
          Naturally Wired Designs
          www.naturallywireddesigns.com

Comment

Although I don't doubt your previous success in selling your products, I personally think these collage type photos detract from the item & distract the seller.

They look cool, but it's the guitar or whatever item I'm trying to sell/buy that I wanna see.

FWIW

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

If you do have it checked out and retubed, shoot a picture of the receipt, a nice close up to prove what you did. That goes pretty far on ebay. That way, you can even offer to put them in touch with the tech that did the work.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards the local route right now, but I'll let you know.
                Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
                Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Comment

Ithink all these guys have valid points. Make sure when you sell it on Ebay you let the buyer know exactly what they're getting and all the specs etc etc
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
                  X