Reprise: Gibson & Fender in one guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reprise: Gibson & Fender in one guitar

The abundant advice of this forum has helped me to solve my dilemma as to getting both a Gibson and Fender tone, but has brought up more questions.

My solution:
    Use my Carvin DC200 to get the "Gibson" sound. I'll replace the bridge pup with an SH14 Custom 5 and the neck with a SH2 Jazz pup. Unfortunately, I ordered the guitar with a Floyd Rose in it that I never use (always wacks out the tuning). So I had it blocked off with a piece of wood. Which brings up my first question...

With that big hole in the middle of my beautiful koa wood body , will I be able to approximate a Gibson sound with all of that sweet sustain? Is this a worthwhile endeavor, or should I resign myself to buying both a Gibson and a Fender?

Question #2: For that Fender sound I'm planning on buying an American Deluxe Strat. I really love Dave Gilmour's sound and was hoping to get something similar out of this guitar. I read something that said that he used a 70's strat.

Does anyone know if the one he used (uses?) is made out of ash or alder? And are these new samarium cobalt pups all that? What about this S-1 switching thingee...

Thanks again for your help.

Re: Reprise: Gibson & Fender in one guitar

I too have a Carvin (maple/ebony DC127T), and I too tried the C5. I didn't like it. It was too spikey in the highs. I'm much happier with the CC/APH combo in that guitar. It's very fat sounding but still has a lot of clarity under all gain conditions. I'd get a CC trembucker and an extra Alnico V mag, that way you can try both pickups and see which you like.
    Does my Carvin sound like my Paul? Not really.

Does it get close enough so the audience and the singers in my band can't tell the difference? Yep.

As for your trem, if you want to use it and not lose your tuning, make sure your nut is still in good condition and get a tremsetter. I have one paired with the Sperzels and Wilkinson trem and it works wonders.

As far as getting a strat, the Americans are very nice if you can swing the money, but personally, I'll put my 1992 MIJ 62 RI up against any American strat as far as looks, sound and playability go. I got mine for $400 in mint condition and slapped in a set of pickups out of a Ernie Ball Albert Lee sig. guitar and couldn't be happier.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Sorry, I'm still new to this online forum thing and haven't learned all of the abbreviations... The CC/APH? Are you referring to the stock pups? Also, don't know much about trembuckers...

Thanks

Comment

CC is the Custom Custom, which is the regular Custom with an alnico 2 mag. APH is the Alnico Pro Humbucker.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I dunno what those cobalt pickups are like, and have never tried one of these new fenders, but I think the S-1 system seems pretty cool. Kinda like a push/pull, but reverse...kinda... (push the middle of the knob in to activate the switch, push it in again to make it pop out to de-activate it)

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, I think David Gilmour is into EMG single coils now, but was still using Fender single coils back in the Floyd recording days (when they still had Roger)

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
            CC is the Custom Custom, which is the regular Custom with an alnico 2 mag. APH is the Alnico Pro Humbucker.
            He's correct!

Beandip gets a gold star!
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I absolutely love the CC/APH combo! I have a JB/Jazz, and plan to have the CC/APH for my next guitar (whenever that may be...)

Comment

Working...
              X