I judged baritone's too soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I judged baritone's too soon

When all these baritone guitars started coming out, I thought the idea was rediculous. Basically, I just thought of it as the guitar industry bowing down to a generation of guitar players who had to use incredibly low tunings to cover up the fact that they couldn't play.
    Well, I was getting my car serviced yesterday, and the shop happens to be in the same plaza as Guitar Center, so I went over there to kill some time. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, just checkin stuff out, but a clerk was following me everywhere asking if I wanted to try every item I looked at, so I gave in and picked up the Les Paul I was closest to and went over and found a 65' Twin Reverb Reissue to plug into. I was really diggin the looks of the les paul, black with brushed metal features. I currently have a platinum LP with black knobs, pickups, guard, etc, so I thought it was kinda neat...basically the inverse of what I already have.
    And then I plugged in. Now, granted, this was a 65' reissue I was playing through, so I knew good tone wasn't going to be hard to find, but I was amazed at how well the guitar played and sounded. I flipped the tag up to see if they had any details about what exactly was in it, and thats when I saw that it was a baritone. I couldn't believe I was playing the guitar I was so against. I don't know if it was the fact that I was playing .13's, or perhaps the longer scale (and therefore, more string to give fuller tone) but I loved it. Then, after thinking about it a while, a baritone guitar tuned to standard is really no different than the difference in scale from a gibson to a fender. After playing this guitar, I think I'm gonna work on uping my string guage a bit (which I'll do on my tele first, since...thats my beater) and if all goes well, and has pleasing results, I'll see about doing the same for my LP.
    I guess the moral here is that I judged these guitars before I ever really gave them a chance.

Re: I judged baritone's too soon

Originally posted by Mojoe01
    Then, after thinking about it a while, a baritone guitar tuned to standard is really no different than the difference in scale from a gibson to a fender.
    Except that the difference between a Fender and Gibson is about 3/4" while the difference between a Fender/Gibson and the LP Baritone is about 2.5"/3.25"

Baritones are said to be nice sounding guitars. I've yet to find one to try.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The Schecter Hellcat VI looks pretty darn cool.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

you lucky bastard!
        In all my local music stores it's usually a chore for the store people to let you try somethin out, I wish they would follow me around
        Ju, ju, just like the bad guy from lethal weapon 2, I got diplomatic immunity so Hammer you can't sue....!

ESP LTD MH-400
        Marshall VS 8240
        Boss DS-1, Cry baby
        Ernie Ball strings, Jim Dunlop picks
        Planet waves cables

Comment

Baritones- i've come across 2 that i like thusfar: The Ibanez MMM1 & the OLP... i especially like the former which sports the same humbuckers in the John Scofield jazz guitar, it sounded just right. mudless...
          Psychic Horns

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe01
            When all these baritone guitars started coming out, I thought the idea was rediculous. ....
            DAYUM you´re old!!! Baritones have been around for about 250 years

I guess the moral here is that I judged these guitars before I ever really gave them a chance.
            Good to see you learned ypur lesson. This is unfortunately a mistake that almost everybody makes, judging something that they have no idea about. It´s just that few ever realize where their head is. You can consider yourself blessed
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
            X