One string tree or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One string tree or two?

Ok, I'll give you the Floyd and the tone of a roller nut. But, you cant tell me that a properly cut and well done bone nut will be worse than a graphite nut. And as for string breakage, that's nothing that a little wire stripping or or small needle file wont fix. I didnt mean the BF or Earvana, cause that's just like the best thing to happen to guitars since the Stratocaster.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
      Ok, I'll give you the Floyd and the tone of a roller nut. But, you cant tell me that a properly cut and well done bone nut will be worse than a graphite nut.
      All other things equal, without maintenance (pencil lead/nut sauce, every so often a bit of sandpaper, etc.) the graphite nut WILL keep itīs tuning better in the long term because of itīs inherently lubricative properties.

And as for string breakage, that's nothing that a little wire stripping or or small needle file wont fix.
      Yes, but is every guiitarist experienced in such fine work? And for example what if you donīt like the tone of your brass saddles? Then you can kill 2 birds with one stone, for about the price of a pro-setup, and lower your maintenance cost/time at the same time

Again, they ALL have their merits, some a bit less than others, but they also ALL have disadvantages. Nut material is one of those things where you really "canīt go" anyway, because Iīve seen easily 20 different materials used for a nut, and they all have advantages and drawbacks

Here some examples:
      Bone
      Graphite
      Corian
      Micarta
      Phenolic Resin
      Pre-ban Ivory
      Brass
      Mammoth Ivory
      Ebony
      Steel
      Abalone(!)
      Plastic (probably the only one that IMO has nothing but disadvantages)

Looking at that, it quickly becomes obvious IMO that itīs personal preference (or maybe "mojo"), not all of it because of a crappy setup
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I'm building my Strat project using staggered height Schaller locking tuners, which should eliminate the need for any string trees.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Working...
        X